How to acclimatize altums?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

falcon

AC Members
Dec 16, 2003
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I am getting 10 small altums tomorrow. I am debating as to the initial setup for them. My aged water's pH is 7.6. In my 120g planted community tank, I maintain 6.7-6.8pH. I was thinking of putting these altums into a bare bottom quarantine tank and am debating what to do with pH. Should I lower it from 7.6 or acclimatize them to that and than to 6.8 when they would go into the planted tank.

I was debating whether it made sense to lower the pH with peat moss while in quarantine. I have used vinegar before as well.

Any thoughts on appropriate course of action?

Thank you.

falcon

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
you got altums very cool, do you have any pictures??

I would just acclimate them to the first tank and then when your going to put them in your 120 just acclimate them again. Slowly but surely they will get in the big tank.Another thought How about take some water from the 120 and use that for you Q tank? I really don't think the difference is that great so if you acclimate to each tank you should be fine.

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
as far as I know Altums and other angels like slightly acidic water. So thats what discus like also. My dad has raised and breed angels for a long time and the only thing different about altums is that I hear they are harder to breed. I haven't had any personally so I can't tell you from personal experence. I think that you can put them in the Q tank and then into the 120....acclamate them slowly to both. The will most likely eat any fish that will fit in their mouths. Also I would check www.aquamojo.com this forum is mostly for cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store