This is Weird (URGENT!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

poofy

Registered Member
Sep 12, 2004
I have a black, jumbo fancy goldfish, the kind with the big thing on it's head. The only thing is, it never had a thing on it's head, until a couple of days ago, it started to appear. It's eyes started to buldge out more too. I figure it was just young when we got it, and now it's developing.

At the same time it started to develop, it started to get sick. It's just been laying sideways on the bottom of the tank for days, but it's still very much alive, it's breathing and looking around, It's just like it wants to be lazy or something, but it must be sick, right?

We did a test on the water, and the nitrate was high, so we drained half the water and replaced it. The fish does not have the ick.

I was wondering if fish act this way when they develop, or if it is all just a big coinsidence that it got sick at the exact same time it started to develop.

Please help me! The algee eater is starting to eat it, and I really wanna know if it can be saved before it's too late!!!!!

victimizati0n

AC Members
Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
if the algae eater is eating it, your fish will probably not recover.

It is eating the slime coat off of it.

Alsdo, doing a 50% water change probably threw your cycle out of wack.

poofy

Registered Member
Sep 12, 2004
Shekoi said:
i'd remove the goldie to a different tank or tub with some filter and treat him away from the algae eater. it doesn't sound good for him.

what size tank? how old is the fish?

I've had it maybe 2 years

38 high

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
what else is in the tank apart from the goldie and algae eater?

a 38 high is to small for a goldfish, the problem could be that he is stunted this is causing him to become 'lazy' on the bottom of the tank.
goldies need at least a 55g tank, long ones better because of the surface area.
This is a 2year old fancy thats why large tanks with very good filtration are needed.

have you taken him out to treat??

poofy

Registered Member
Sep 12, 2004
Shekoi said:
what else is in the tank apart from the goldie and algae eater?

a 38 high is to small for a goldfish, the problem could be that he is stunted this is causing him to become 'lazy' on the bottom of the tank.
goldies need at least a 55g tank, long ones better because of the surface area.
This is a 2year old fancy thats why large tanks with very good filtration are needed.

have you taken him out to treat??

That's what I thought for a little while, but the guy I lived with thought he was sick. he flushed him.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Large water changes won't hurt the cycle. Goldfish need large water changes to be healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store