What do you keep on your book shelf?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lark

AC Members
Feb 8, 2004
Visit site
What do you keep on you bookshelf that you consider to be indespensible for the fish you keep and what is it that you like most about it. For my GF I really like Fancy Goldfish by Johnson and Hess. The most useful book I have come across specifically for Goldfish. It is incredibly comprehensive, covering everything from setup up, to disease, treatment, breeding, and breeds. I really think the pictures are fantastic and useful in the case of diagnosing. And it is full of them.

Sunny

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Texas, USA
excoboard.com
I have Dr.Axelrod's Mini Freshwater atlas. He shows pictures of most Freshwater fish, but even though he has two glossaries with both, scientific names and common names, he is using scientific names under each picture and liters instead of gallons, which is not easy to understand, since I constantly have to go from the picture to the back of the book or use conversion table or find out the common names of each fish. I also don't care much that he is using a lot of dead fish pictures. He has been criticised for this in the past, and I can understand that most people are not scientists and don't want to see pictures of dead fish. But on the whole the book is colourful and informative.
I also have "Auqarium Fish" magazines and Dr. Mills "Tropical Aquarium Fishes".
Looking for a good Malawi Cichlid book.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
The Complete Encyclopedia of Tropical Fish by Esther Verhoef-Verhallen
Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock
Handbook of Fish Disease by Dierter Untergasser

These are the 3 I use most for reference, especially the fish desease one because it's so vast.

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
What do you keep on you bookshelf that you consider to be indespensible for the fish you keep
... my fish food

bluesun

AC Members
Sep 14, 2004
"Dr. Axelros's Mini-Atlas"
"You & Your Aquarium", Richard **** Mills. Great starter book. (the bad word detector edited out the short version of the name Richard)
"Simon & Schuster's Guide to Freswhwater and Marine Aquairum Fishes" good pictures with comon and scientific name.
And any other books I find at the Used Book stores.

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
Oh. books. I have You&Your aquarium, but the info is slightly outdated... it stands by the inch per surface area rule, yet has an example of a coldwater setup with like 5, 6 inch goldfish in about 1 15 or 20 gallon tank, and an undergravel filter in a marine setup, etc etc.

I also have "The tropical fish encyclopedia" with a bunch of species profiles but I'd call it rather incomplete and the species profiles are often inaccurate and I've never heard most of the common names it give fish.

I don't like my fish books... ;)

Cat

AC Members
Aug 3, 2004
Norfolk
Visit site
Interpet Bumper Guide to Tropical Cichlids by **** Mills
(again shorter name for Richard)
Everything in the world you ever needed to know about looking after cichlids including recomended heating and lighting for diff size tanks. Landscapping to keep all fish happy, full profiles. recomended plants and tank mates, illnesses. EVERYTHING!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store