Gourami on Gourami violence?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Analog Saint

AC Members
Aug 25, 2004
Washington, DC
Hi- I have my "peckers" as I call them- They're in a cycled 20 with all the goodies (filter, powerhead, caves and hiding places). There's 2 blue paradise (m. opercularis) and 2 blue (t. trichopterus). I just got the 2 blue gourami in last friday to complete the tank. Ever since I put the two other gourami in, all four are getting along great-

Except one of the new blue gourami has a tiny blood-coloured spot on his pectoral fin. I didn't notice it until today- it's very possible it has been there since the LFS. It doesn't look like anything serious, but since gouramis are a rough crowd, I thought I'd give him isolation and TLC until he's back to 100%. He doesn't act hurt, scared, sluggish, or anything. Doesn't affect his appetite. I don't think it's related to gourami on gourami violence- but with territorial fish, it is a possibility.

I know my gouramis do chase each other, but they each have their own little stakeouts in the tank, and mostly they stay out of each other's way and there's no big deal. Occasionally there's the fin flare and some attitude, but that's to be expected with this bunch. The blue paradise stick near the front, and the blue three-spots inhabit the back half of the tank. There's no damage to the fin on the fish. It does not look like it came from a scuffle with the tankmates- there's no signs of nipped fins or darkened colour from stress.

Even though I have two species of territorial gouramis in there, the m. opercularis and the t. trichopterus don't mind each other- they only chase away the other of the same species.

Here's the plan- I've put him under quarantine, Where I'll manually change water and keep him under surveillance. The only drawback I can think of to this plan is one of the others may try and steal his territory while he's gone, and there'll be some roughhousing when he gets back. Opinions? Stay and monitor- or go ahead with the isolation? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

OnyxFishies

Fish Nut
Aug 29, 2004
Gulfport, MS
blood spots

Blood spots or streaks are a sign of bacterial infection in fish. I would isolate the affected one, and test your water for ammonia, nitrItes, and nitrAtes. (I've read many times this is the reason the fish gets the infection, stress from poor water) Could very well be that your water is fine, as introducing a fish to a new tank is very stressful. (netting, being put in a bag, water chemistry in the new tank being different, ect...)

Isolate, and watch him closely. If it gets any worse, or doesn't get better, I would try treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Analog Saint

AC Members
Aug 25, 2004
Washington, DC
0 ammonia, 0 nitrites. I do one gallon water changes every four days or so, and did a 10% change and gravel vacuuming over the weekend.

Thanks- the little guy and I appreciate it.

[Edit]: One other thing- would raising the salinity help in the QT tank?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store