Stone Catfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Archangel

Plecos, Plecos, everywhere
Apr 7, 2004
Oklahoma
www.homestarrunner.com
I was in Petsmart today looking around, and saw some tiny catfish labeled stone cats. Real little guys, probably less than half an inch long and black all over. Max size was listed at an inch and a half. Real neat little guys, but the seemed to be hiders. Definitely not Cory's. Anyone have any ideas as to other names for these fish or any information on them? I tried looking them up online and on planetcatfish.com but I guess Stone Cat is definitely not the common name for them. Thanks in advance.

Archangel

Apr 7, 2004
Oklahoma
www.homestarrunner.com
kind of

That's what I thought when I first saw them, but I also know banjos get a bit bigger than that. Very similiar, but there front side fins are extremely long, like the wings on an airplane. I have no patience these days, as I already went back and purchased two of them. Along w/ a Royal Pleco (beautiful) If any one has further information on them or just a guess at a different name, it would be appreciated. Sorry I can't get a pic up.

Clownloach458

Three years, so litte posts
Nov 23, 2001
Beckley Wva
Ive never seen Much catfish in my LFS, but i hav seen the fish you are talking about.. i just cant remeber what they called it.. :(

Archangel

Apr 7, 2004
Oklahoma
www.homestarrunner.com
close but not quite

I saw that picture earlier when I googled Stone Catfish, but that's not quite it. Mine are all black and have a slightly different head structure, more like the Banjo. Whatever they are, they're alot more active than I thought they'd be. They're zooming all through my wisteria cleaning the leaves.

Snake Eyez

AC Members
Jun 14, 2004
Central Florida
Visit site
Once again this site proves to be a wealth of knowledge. I just got back from my LFS. I was there to buy some Amano shrimp. When my gf was looking at the tank with the shrimp, she noticed a tiny little fish along the bottom. Like the original poster, the tank labeled this guy as a Stone Catfish and was priced at $1.99. I asked the guy and he told me that he really didn't know that much about them and that he was surprised that he had one left since it had been months since he had ordered one. He said he thought it grew to about 8 inches in length and would resemble a prehistoric fish when grown. When I saw my gf face I knew I was going home with this fish and was prepared to move him into my larger tanks when he got bigger.

As I was buying my shrimp and the catfish I knew I would be on here looking this fish up for information. So is they any more information that anyone can provide for these guys. What food do they like? What do they behave like? Are pairs better? etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store