Tang concern....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brimc123

Registered Member
Sep 17, 2004
College Park, MD
Have had the tank going for about a month now. Recently added a yellow tang on tuesday. My concern is that i noticed a marking down the side of the fish on both sides. The marking is white when i first turn the tank lights then begins to turn yellow. Here's a link to a high res picture to give an idea of what I'm talking about.

link

I assumed it was because the fish was frightened but the markings have been there for a few days now. Any ideas ?

brimc123

Registered Member
Sep 17, 2004
College Park, MD
Thanks....I figured everything was ok but wanted to make sure

Just another question...I've heard you should try to introduce tangs at the same time...will the yellow tang get along with other species if I decide to add another?

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
The #1 thing you have to remember with Tangs is...they usually dont get along with other tang species that have the same body shape (i.e. Yellows with Scopas or Purple or Sailfin). You can add tangs together as long as their body shape is different...that way, they dont see the other Tang as a threat to turf. I have a Scopas and a Convict Tang together, and they love each other.

Go to your local fish store, and ask to see the different tangs. There will be 2 very distinct body shapes between different species. If your local fish store staff is knowledgeable, they'll be able to tell you the same thing I just stated. Ask them which ones would go together, that are different body shapes.

Raki

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Visit site
I have a yellow and a sailfin . they display at each other usually when feeding but otherwise get along just fine I had the sailfin first then introduced the yellow about three weeks later. The best thing to remember with tangs is that the more room you have for them the better they will get along. They like to curse the tank and if there is more space they will have less of a chance on getting in each others way :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store