Top fin tanks (petsmart)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OnyxFishies

Fish Nut
Aug 29, 2004
Gulfport, MS
For those of you that don't know, Top Fin is a line of fish equipment that is made by (or more likely for) Petsmart. I'm eyeballing a 75G tank/hood setup, and wondering if anyone has any experience with Top Fin tanks. I've got a Top Fin brand 29G tank now, and don't have any problems with it. But, there is a huge difference between a 29G and a 75G....

Anyway.. It's either the Top Fin tank, or order one from another LFS. (There is a tank company in Mississippi that most of em carry..

I've owned some other Top Fin products, some good, some bad. The HOB filters that they sell with the Top Fin brand are either made by Tetra, or are carbon-copies. About average quality, IMHO. Top fin heaters are crud, and cost about as much as a good one. Most other Top Fin products aren't horrible, but aren't great.

nvision

what the heck is a pl*co?
Dec 11, 2002
Sunnyvale, CA
jau.smugmug.com
i think their glass tanks are pretty well made. i have their 10g, 20g-hi, and 20g-long with black sealant, very decent tanks. silicone seams are layered reasonably consistent and clean. these, however, do not surpass anywhere the size that you opted for, and i have no experience with their other products. but i'm happy with their glass tanks.

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
topfin is made in phoenix, i bought a heater from them, meh, i like my eheim jagers better. Aside from tanks, i dont think id by other topfin products.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Since getting back into the hobby after retirement my first tank from Pet Smart was a Top Fin 60 tank / cabinet /cover & lights combo for $226 new. So far its been great with the exception of the composite fiber cabinet which the 600+ pounds is starting to warp. I just don't recommend their composite cabinets, if possible go all wood or all steel.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Haha.. happens to us all..

Top Fin is Petsmart's store brand, so a number of different companies manufacture the actual products for them before they rebrand it. In the case of the tank, I know AGA made them in the past, not sure if they still do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store