goldfish question....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dianne6

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I have a goldfish, ( the kind with the huge eyes)
and his back fins are kind of stuck together, not his
side ones but his back ones, and he spends alot of
time on the bottom when not eating, his he sick?
How should i treat him?

Thanks alot!
Dianne

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Clamped fins is a sign of distress. Could be from an injury, or it could be an infection. Check koivet.com for better analysis. Just a guess, but it could be water quality related.

TJcanada

AC Members
Dianne, could you be more specific? Are you talking about it's tail fins? Do you know what type of goldfish - huge eye's don't narrow it down - Moor, bubble eye? Here's a link to goldfish varieties: Bristol Society . Has the fin(s) always been this way? Whay size tank is it in? Does it have tank mates? What is your tank maintenance schedule like(water changes/vac)? It's possible that there's some sort of illness happening but it's also possible that this is just a genetic defect - hard to say with out more detailed info.
Here's the Koivet link to Goldfish information: Goldfish-Koivet and the disease/diagnosis page: Diseases .

Please post back with some more information - we might beable to help, or atleast let us know if you've found an answer through the links.

Regards, TJ

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
I had one goldfish who spent a lot of time on the bottom of the tank, it took me months before I got comfortable with his being there. GF are like people, they have their own distinct personalities. I have one right now who has a specific "bed" in the tank where he likes to spend the night. This could just be a personality quirk in your fish. However, it might not. How long have you had this fish and what is happening to the rest of his/her tankmates? Is this GF a bubble-eye, the one with the sac around the eyes, or just one of the telescope varieties. Bubble eyes are very susceptible to infections in their eyes (which is why I don't keep them...) and this would be a likely cause.

edit: OK, TJ and I posted at the same time, so not to jump on you and pester you, but we're just looking for a little more depth...

Let us know....

Val

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store