tang aggression

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
can yellow tangs be aggressive? i bought a yellow tang, fairly good size, about 3 weeks ago, and i just bought an ebli angle, considerably smaller today. the tang seems to chase him around a bit, should i be concerned? i would hate to bring the tang back.

also, can any dwarf angels be kept together? would i be able to get away with a bi-colored and a ebli? they look nothing alike, not even the same shape. or is their only one way to find out?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yellow tangs are very territorial, especially with anything that has a similar shape and size. While they school in the wild, in a tank they fight viciously.

Mixing dwarves is hit or miss. Typcially, if they don't resemble each other they will be okay, but it will depend on the individuals.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
should i bring the tang back? what if i got a smaller chocolate tang? smaller than the yellow i mean, not smaller than the angel? think a bi-color, and the eibli would work? both are small, the bi-color is smaller though

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Can't really say--I'm not familiar with chocolate tangs. I do know that they are typically introduced last, unless mixing with very aggressive fish like triggers. For the angels--in a big enough tank, it can work. I've never seen it work, but I've heard of people who have a mix of dwarves. Best advice--try it, but be prepared to remove one of them. If they are both juveniles, it's more likely they'll get along, though of course that may change as they mature. Sorry--maybe someone else will have a better answer.

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Yeah, if they're confined yellow tangs can be very aggressive to fish. Is this in your ten? It would work in a 55 or larger.
I've seen multiple dwarf angels a few times, the smallest I've ever seen it work was a very heavily aquascaped 4 foot long tank

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
wayne said:
Yeah, if they're confined yellow tangs can be very aggressive to fish. Is this in your ten? It would work in a 55 or larger.
Tangs actually require a 90gal. tank or larger...preferably larger. Tangs, when full grown, will be 12" long. A 55gal. tank is only 13" (from to back).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store