yellow tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bigworm616

AC Members
May 6, 2004
chicagoland area
Visit site
My friend has a yellow tang that is way too big for his 75 gallon. He asked me what he should do and i told him i would ask and see if anyone wanted it online. So anybody want a healthy 4 inch yellow tang.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Bigworm616 said:
My friend has a yellow tang that is way too big for his 75 gallon. He asked me what he should do and i told him i would ask and see if anyone wanted it online. So anybody want a healthy 4 inch yellow tang.
I can think of only 2-3 options. Buy a bigger tank, trade it in to a LFS or, give it to somebody.

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
Where in Chicago do you live? I live on the North side...Clark and Devon area.

I have a 200gal. FOWLR tank, and I'd take the Tang. Is it healthy?

Last edited:

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
reefpicker said:
That does not sound too big for a 75g. How do you know the fish is "unhappy"?
i agree. i had a tang in my 75 about that big. seemes to be doing very well. accept for his aggression towards my eibli

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
A 90gal. tank is minimum requirements for any type of tang. They can reach lengths of 14". Reefpicker and Caz...if you're planning on keeping your tangs long term, you're going to have to get bigger tanks.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
i disagree, i have a freind that has had a yellow tang in a 75 gallon tank for around 3 1/2 years. it is about 6 inches long, very playful and seems to be doing great.

AW2EOD

Former Squid
Jun 14, 2004
IL
Visit site
jessie said:
i disagree, i have a freind that has had a yellow tang in a 75 gallon tank for around 3 1/2 years. it is about 6 inches long, very playful and seems to be doing great.
6" long isnt full grown. Research, if you want....or ask other peoples opinions. 90% of people (on this forum, as well as other forums) will tell you that a 55gal. is too small for any type of Tang. If I went and bought a 2" baby Yellow Tang, I could keep it in my 15gal. reef for quite a long time. That doesnt mean that 15gal. is suitable for that fish.

The purpose of this hobby (as well as keeping any other animal) is providing the best environment that you possibly can to keep that fish healthy and happy. The measurements on a 75gal. aquarium are 48W x 18D x 21H. That's only 18" from front to back. You keep a larger fish in that size tank and it's like putting you inside a closet and letting you live there. You may be able to survive, but are you going to be happy and healthy?

I'm not arguing because I want the fish. If I wanted one so bad, I'd go to the fish store and buy one for $20. I'm arguing for the sake of the fish.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
im not argueing at all. i was just putting in my 2 cents. i think a 75 is ok, does that mean im wrong? maybe, but not everyone does everything the same. the point of this board is to get everyones opion, not say im right and your wrong. as far as keeping fish in the best enviroment for them, who decides this, you have to tell by observing the fish. watching the individual fish is the only way to tell if its happy or not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store