Good tank mates for a 7" Texas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thefish

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Visit site
I just bought a new 100 gallon tank, currently the only fish I have in it are a 7" Texas cichlid, a 8" Black Ghost Knife, and a Pleco cat. (The Black ghost hides in the rocks all day so I do not usually see him.) What would be some good fish to put in with my Texas?

Kinda tough matching up cichlids when they get that size. Don't help that each can be an individual. Guess it comes down to a trial and error kinda situation.

A couple recomendations could be a black belt cichlid, or a red or green terror maybe. Perhaps a Jack Dempsy, or a Salvini. All of similar size of course.

Some fish to avoid though would be red devils, or jags. Oscars would be a poor choice too.

Hard to say exacly though...just becuase a fish should get along, don't mean they will...nature of the beast I guess. What ever it is you decide to add, be sure to kinda re-decorate the tank befor adding it....that may help resolve the territory problems a bit. HTH, and GL.

"J"

tHeX

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I have a carpinte in with a Texas and they do fine. The carpinte is boss, but also a bit bigger. The tank also has an ellioti who is a bit shy. Falls between the two in ranking. (its a size thing).
The meanest thing in my tank is a Giant Danio. Kills/hurts anything thats not cichlid (because he can't), but have tryed other giant danios, catfish, alge eaters, a gigantc (6.5") flying fox, black shark, but he kills most and tortures the rest. Crazy little freak.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
Very hard to say. At his age and size, he will destroy anything less aggressive. If you put in a fish more aggressive, then it will terrorise the texas. A situation I had with my adult Texas. In the end I opted for a school of Giant Danios to add life and fill the void. I also have two large crayfish in the tank now and they all get along fine. He just doesn't tolerate any other cichlid!

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
like rift-n-reef just by trial and error try what people suggested since you have such large fish it may kill most anything that you put in with it.

maybe try black belt, or convicts, maybe jack dempsey too (all of similar size)

just out of curiosity how long have they been in the tank?

vilhelm

AC Members
Dec 9, 2001
sweden
Visit site
maybe one more texas? try a divider for a while if(when) you put in a new bigfish,so they can smell and see( hmm i cant remember)
eachoter(miss spell?)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store