pacific tree frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sacramento/Davis, California
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I just acquired two pacific tree froglets from a friend. I have a ten gallon screened tank that I am going to use to house them, but I don't know how to go about setting it up. I want to have some live (CA native) plants in there, and a watering pool of some kind, but don't know how to best accomodate the froggies and make sure it is easy to clean their terrarium and water source.

Any ideas?

Lesley

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions OG and Leopardess. I ended up setting up my terrarium yesterday and used a very fine sandy soil called yolo fine sandy loam. I think it will work well for my froggies as well as for the mosses and ferns that I am planting with. I guess now the big part will be keeping up the fly supply. I couldn't believe how expensive the vials of fruit flies were at the pet store (about 5 bucks.) I need to start culturing them myself.

The froglets are hiding right now, but I will try to post a picture of them later.

I got a picture, but he's a little muddy. This little guy is about the size of the tip of my pinky finger. He just metamorphosed about a month ago.

froglet.jpg

Last edited:

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Aww he's so cute and...slimy!

Just be careful, you may want to take an indepth look around the site I gave. I remember reading a lot of people saying that some substrates can be very harmful because the frogs can/will swallow pieces. I'm not sure that yours is a problem but it can't hurt to double check:)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep, totally jealous. What a cutie! You might also want to look into crickets--they are pretty cheap, and the small size might work for you. Of course, there's a variety of easily cultured flies if you can setup the space for them.

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Visit site
Here's another picture.

I think my substrate will be okay. It's basically a fast draining mud. I think the problem comes in with substrates that the frogs can swallow in chunks and they get lodged in their digestive tracts. The stuff I used is probably closest to what they encounter in the wild, since it is basically a native soil.

Also, I do plan on looking into crickets as soon as these guys are bigger. I just haven't found any crickets yet that aren't bigger than the frogs. I have read about pinhead crickets, but haven't seen any in pet stores nearby.

frogletonmoss.jpg

greeneyedlady

Duchess of Comedy
Jul 4, 2002
MD, USA
they are sooooo cute lesley, I would have a hard time convincing hubby that I "needed" frogs for pets since I have 4 fish tanks set up right now and he is a tad overwhelmed by my "hobby" :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store