How do you get driftwood ready to be placed in an aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PaperThick

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
The pieces are too large to boil in a pot. I currently have them soaking in a large bucket full of hot water. I don't want to introduce all sorts of problems into my aquarium, so I thought it would be best to ask.

fishbrain

PROUD TO BE AMERICAN
you are pretty much doing it now....i usally let the wood soak in a clean plastic trash can ,and change the water once a week till the water remains clear.depending on the size of the wood it should take you few weeks

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Pour boiling water on it?i usually let it sit in hot water but the hot water will lower in temp as time pass by,i guess just soak it,i use hot water to kill of anything living in the driftwood,cockaroaches,centipedes and more.

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
When wood or rocks are too large to fit into a pot to boil, I have placed them in a large waterproof container (bathtub has substituted before) and soaked them for days (or more, if needed) in a high concentration of ammonia. These items are then thoroughly rinsed and ONLY placed into a tank with no fish or critters until it has cycled or the existing bacteria has removed any remnant of the ammonia. Make sure you use clear ammonia, btw!

Another method I've heard of is to use chlorine bleach to soak it, then just rinse thoroughly and then add declorinator until all gone. Seems to make sense to me!

If you can fit it into a pot, definately boil if you get the chance.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Also- make sure you have no soft spots on the wood. It will rot, or is rotting and not a good thing to put in your tank...

Hootchieman

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.
Oct 22, 2002
Victoria, B.C.
Visit site
You might try asking the LFS if they will sell their already conditioned driftwood out of their tanks to you. It might cost a bit more but would save you the hastle of conditioning it yourself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store