Wanted: Aquarium & Stand in or Near Michigan

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meander

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
Wanted: Aquarium with stand 50 gallons or larger. Any size will be considered, the bigger the better. I have a van and I'm willing to travel several hundred miles for the right tank at the right price.

Meander
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Kiyana

AC Members
Sep 10, 2004
I have a 125 gallon if you don't mind coming across the border asking 400 Canadian

sman91wing

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Mi
Visit site
Hey Meander, just curious.. I live in GR too, where do you buy your fish from? The best place I've found is VI pets. Any other good ones? Thanks, and sorry if this annoys you cause its in the wrong section.

Meander

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
Have you heard of Solomon Seas on Chicago Drive? Their selection is limited (saltwater only) and mostly from the Solomon Islands, but, wow, is it all super healthy. The owners are very knowledgeble and nice and really care about their fish/corals and want them to go to good homes. Her prices are good on livestock, but because her shop is so small her dry goods are fairly expensive.

Chow Hound on 28th has some pretty good stuff. But best is they sell live rock/sand right from the displays so it's very, very live. If you become a frequent customer, even a small buyer they treat you super well. The evening staff seems best and most interested in helping. Some of the staff don't know a great deal about the livestock but they have reference books right on hand and they use them.

"The Pet Store" on Breton is pretty good if you do your own research and have an idea of what you want already. They have no corals to speak of and the staff isn't very approachable. They don't mark any prices on the fish so you have to ask every time and sometimes it takes a little time to get help.

VI Pets is OK, but they will tell people anything to sell a fish and they keep much of their livestock in copper treatment which destroys their immune system if kept in it too long. I've only lost a couple of saltwater fish and they've all been from VI Pets. I didn't know clowns were permanently damaged by being kept in copper too long, so sad. They also tend to give you sales pitches at the Plainfield store, trying to get you to buy unnecessary stuff - chemicals, etc. Their medications are seriously overpriced.

For chemicals, medications, and coral foods I buy online. Big Al's Aquarium and Tropical Fish Supply is a favorite of mine. I buy live phytoplankton and macroalgae on eBay for the most part.

Hope that helps. I'll list more if I think of anything.

Meander

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
Kiyana said:
I have a 125 gallon if you don't mind coming across the border asking 400 Canadian
Oh, if only you were a tad closer. I doubt my hubby would go that far. Thanks for your reply!

sman91wing

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Mi
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the info! I've been to solomon seas, but I'm not really into saltwater (yet). I do like chowhound, and that pet store place is alright. I'm really big into cichlids, have you ever been to any of the Curious world stores? The one on 28th right by chowhound has a descent african selection, but other than that I don't find too much. They always have painted tetras, thats just a turn off for me. Well, thanks again!

Meander

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
jd_7655 said:
I have 48x12 stand with canopy its oak painted black paid $400 asking $150 I'm near detroit like new no scratches
Thanks for posting - I'm pretty much looking for a stand plus a tank that will fit on it, hoping to find something that all matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store