weird lime green plant

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kadiddlehopper

AC Members
Sep 23, 2004
hi question about some kind of growth, theve been growing crazy since i got my LR. at first there was only one tiny little one but now theres like 4 of them. there long fuzzy looking things . They are really florescent green looking, i think there really cool but wondering what there doing, i guess i could get pictures on here if you wantbut there worm like, not animals that go in and out but like corals or sponges.

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sacramento/Davis, California
Visit site
I think I have these too... they are fluorescent green at the tip, with a whitish base? Kind of look like an eyeless snake ready to strike? I'm pretty sure they are a type of macroalgae, but I don't know what species.

kmitch

Registered Member
Oct 12, 2004
Saskatchewan Canada
I have them like Lesley's descrition. They are fuzzy on the tip. I think they are a type of algae, I have first noticed them about a year ago. They appear to grow and dissappear after a few months time. I now have about 20 in a group on one of my pumps.

NaH2O

AC Members
Oct 11, 2004
Indianapolis
www.reeffrontiers.com
It sounds like it might be Neomeris annulata - commonly called, caterpiller weed, fuzzy tip algae, or spindleweed. This algae incorporates calcium into its body structure, which is why it is white towards the bottom.

Here is a photo from my tank:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store