Has anyone made a hottub into an indoor pond?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dianne6

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
My mother has a tiled room with a hot tub in it that she NEVER
uses. Actually it would be out of there except that she built
the room around it. We were hoping to turn it into an indoor
pond. Anybody have any suggestions on how to do this,
filter, etc? She was just going to put goldfish and koi in there,
maybe a small turtle,& fountain. Has anyone done this before?
We are worried about the algae problem because the room
has sky lights and lots of big windows. Think it could work?

Dianne

wetmanNY

AC Members
Does this mean the Hot Tub craze is really over?

What a dream! Fill that room with big plants too, under the skylight. OxyClean will remove the soap scum from the hot tub.You could lay gravel and keep plants in pots at first. Lots of plants, a couple of sponge filters and spawn some fish! That way it's all reversible if you later change your mind.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
I beleive Bomar, the Moderator did. He even posted pics. No, on second thought, he made an open top 1000 gallon tank out of 4X6 retaining wall ties lined with a poly liner. Ask him in a private message.

Think how clean the water will be with the existing filtration system. ;)

Stias'

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
WI
Visit site
I think that was Mojo that built the pond with landscaping timbers and a liner. Anybody elso remember for sure? Might try a search on it.

Stias'

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
Naw, that was an outdoor pool. The local health dept. wanted to have it closed as unsanitary as there were fish in it. Strange enough, rich people all over are turning thier old pools into koi ponds and it is now thought of as trendy. :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store