Possible Stray Cat.....What to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I'm looking for some opinions...and thought who better to get them from:D (Plus, my mom's not answering her phone :p)

Okay. I have seen this adorable, all black cat around here for the past 4 weeks. I don't remember ever seeing him before. I noticed back then that he looked a little thin (not starving thin, but he is indeed very, very trim). He has no collar and I was keeping my eye out for him to make sure he always looked okay.

Now, in the past few days, I had been seeing him early in the morning or very late at night in the parking lot. Sometimes when we come home in the middle of the day, he's curled up outside the building under a bush. He never let me approach him though.

Yesterday morning, when I went to open the porch blinds, I saw something move. The cat had been sleeping in a teeny tiny spot on our porch between some potted plants. We're on the second floor....not sure why he decided to sleep there. So, he got scared and jumped down (using the air conditioner for the unit below us). I felt bad and thought he looked like he could use some food, so I ran out with a scoop of crunchies and put them under our porch. I was able to coax him out to eat them - at which point he hoarfed down almost the entire large scoop. I let him be and went to school.

Last night, I had a feeling. At 1:30am when I was going to bed, I said "Let me look on the porch and see if he's there." Sure enough, he was. I put my cats away in the bedroom and opened up the deck door. The cat was very skittish but didn't run. I got out some more crunchies and water and gave him a bowl of each. He appeared to be very, very hungry. So, I ran into the kitchen and got him some turkey, which he ate. At this point, I had the deck doors open and he was about 2 ft away. I went to put the turkey bag away and when I was doing that - he ran in the house! He sniffed around a bit (wouldnt' let me anywhere near him) and sat down. He rubbed himself up against the couch. Meanwhile, I was wondering if I should take him in for the night and put him in his own room, and start trying to find his possible owner. After a minute or so, he ran back out and I shut the screen, leaving him on the porch with his food.

I realize that by feeding him, I'll attract him. But I figure it like this. If he has an owner, they ignore him. He's thinner than I think he should be. And he's been hanging out here anyway, night and day. If he's a stray, he needs food and by feeding him, I can keep him around long enough outside to figure out what to do.

If I didn't have my own cats, I'd let him in more readily and watch him, but I don't know what possible diseases he might have (or his temperment, etc) and I don't want to risk the health of my cats.

So, should I:
1) Wait and see what happens in the coming days/week...
2) Put up Found Posters with his picture and take him in/give him a section of the house
3) Put up Found Posters and not take him in, but keep him lured by food so that if he is someone's I can probably catch him when he comes to the door
4) Take him to a shelter (no kill - a woman that we got our cats from adopts cats out) and put up Found Posters.
5) Something else.

I just feel bad because it's getting colder at night (37-43ish) and I worry about him. (If he didn't get claimed and got a clean bill of health, I might be tempted to try keeping him myself).

This was way longer than I meant to write.....sorry to make you read all of that!

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Be careful not to turn into your neighborhood's cat lady. Then again it could be fun to scare all the little kids.

I'd say it needs to come off the streets even if that means going to the pound and getting executed. Stray cats tend to produce more stray cats. Maybe you could start by calling the local shelters and see if anyone has been looking for her.

EDIT: Oh, did you just change your avatar? Or am I imagining things?

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Hmmm. Well I'd sooner keep it than allow it to be put to sleep (which is specifically why I won't give him to the town shelters). He is friendly....just scared. I think he had an owner at one point (if he is a stray) because of the way he acts around people (ie me).

Duly noted though. Thank you for reading all that:)

Btw - I don't think having 3 cats (my current 2 plus him), qualifies for cat lady....does it? (Looks around, bites lip)

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Leopardess said:
Btw - I don't think having 3 cats (my current 2 plus him), qualifies for cat lady....does it? (Looks around, bites lip)
No, but I'm sure every old lady with 100 cats living in a tiny 2-bedroom house got most of their cats one or two at a time. I guess everyone needs goals, and you've gotta start somewhere. I'm aiming for demented old man myself. I want the neighborhood kids to dare each other to ring my doorbell.

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Catch him and have him tested for feline leukemia (FeLV) and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) before allowing him to spend any time with your own cats- unless of course yours already test positive. Both diseases are very common in strays and are easily communicated.
http://www.southpaws.com/topics/felv.html

At the least catch him so that he can be neutered (unless he already is) and placed in a pet home.

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
We got our cat as a stray.

My sister was visiting in the states, eating at a Jack in the Box. A kitten was in the parking lot (tiny thing half the size of your palm) was scratching at the door. So, she took it and smuggled him across the border in a shoe box (back to Vancouver). It stayed at her dorm room for a day and then brought it over to "visit" my mom (my mom an animal lover, and getting over a recent cat eaten by a coyote). Well, to make things short, my mom fell in love with it, it was brought to the vet, got its shots, dewormed, etc.etc. and its now been 2-3years since we got him.
Funniest cat in the world.

Anyways, i say catch it, go to the vet for a checkup. And then KEEP IT! FREE CAT!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Hmm thank you guys:)

Cearb - Yah, I am nervous about even trying to touch it because I don't know what he has. My cats have a clean bill of health, been tested for everything! (Speaking of, did you all know you can get a test done to see if they'll react badly to anesthesia? We had that done before they got neutered for piece of mind. Its a fairly new test. Well worth the $60.)

That's a good story spartan. Our two cats now were "strays"...if you count being abandoned as a kitten. I have no problem with keeping him (it's Chris that I'd have to convince...and he's a tough one to budge. I already have all the cats and fish and birds and hamster, and used to have mice!)

Obv. if I were to keep him, I'd haul his kitty butt right to the vet for all the necessaries (no, he's not neutered yet, btw)...I'm concerned about how well he'd adapt to extremely strict indoor only life. Hmm...

He was just back about half an hour ago, eating on the porch (I got him his own cans of Fancy Feast when I was out getting Baron and Dante's food :p).

EDIT: Yes, I changed the avatar. Just for a bit, though. I like my old one way too much to get rid of!:p

Last edited:

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
or you could eat him

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for that enlightening idea...