HoneyComb Tatia Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
A Pvc pipe, add male, add female and a ph between 6.5-8. Lots of hiding places (especially driftwood). Use mosquito larvae, wingless fruitflies at night and voila Tatia babies.

They're relatively easy to breed, and your local aquarium shop will pay handsomely for regular shipments of young. They go for about $20 per individual.

PikeLee

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
NY
www.freewebs.com
Wow!!! Thanks for replying. I posted that a while ago. Too bad I don't have those guys anymore. But I'll keep that in mind just in case they come up again. Those guys are hard to find.

I used rocks, wood, and piping. 7.5 was the ph. I added a current and all with a diet of bloodworms and mysis shrimp. Those guys have a healthy appetite. But I didn't find anything. I had 2 trios. I was thinking that it the fry were eaten from the other tatias in the tank.

Do you know if the parents take care and defend the young?

edinjapan

Registered Member
May 13, 2005
Tatia galaxias

I just found a clump of eggs courtesy of my Tatia galaxias. The pair is in a 45cm cube supplied with a gravel substrate, lots of caves made from clay bricks, a few large Amazon swordplants and an outside filter that is rated for a 180cm long tank.

Temp is 28ºC, pH is 5.8, KH is almost 0, GH is <3.0ºd, NO2 is 5 mg/l and NO3 is 50 mg/l. Last week I did a 60% water change-a bit massive to say the least but, I read that these fish need a big change to trigger breeding. I added livefood in the form of some small shrimp from one of my tubs outside, supplemented that with some frozen bloodworms and minicat pellets. Yesterday, I noticed the female-who was quite rotund, cleaning out a cave that was directly in the current and today when I checked there was a large gelatinous mass of eggs in the cave.

This is the third time I've had these fish successfully breed, haven't been so fortunate as to raising the babies. The adults are nice sized fish with midnight black bodies on which there are white spots. They did well in the community tank I had them in-dumerilli angels and a trio of BN plecos as tankmates and even produced their first batch of eggs there.

needless to say, I'd like to raise the young to successful adulthood and would like any input from successful breeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store