Green Terrors _ _help Please!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brent

Registered Member
Oct 5, 2004
Hi,

Anyone have these guys? Well - they're very beautiful fish.

Some help needed please ... The situation:

I have a 48x12x18 which had:
* Jack Dempsey
* 2x Breeding Pair Aquidens Metae
* 1x Green Terror

Anyway - the Green Terror seemed to be getting picked on by the Breeding pair (naturally i guess) and Jack Dempsey was harrassing the Green T at times. I thought this to be too much for the poor guy - don't get me wrong - he was able to hold out against both the Metae when they approached him together ...

But still - i wanted the Green T to be happy and bought him a new tank -- a bit smaller though - 30"x12"x15". This happened on Saturday. So i moved the Green T into his new tank on Saturday.

Then he looked a little lonely and i decided to buy him a mate ... which was extremely difficult to come by - but found him a female Green T - well i hope it's a female - the pet shop said it was (not that thats going mean it is going to be female)...

I bought the Green T's mate yesterday ... When climatising the female into her new tank conditions via the plastic bag - u know .... the male Green T (who was already in the tank) seemed to have a go at the newbie -- and in fact was having a go -- he literally pecked at the plastic bag to get at her ...

The male is about 4.5 inches and the female is 3.5 inches. Anyway - as a result of the "aggression" i put the female into a see-through plastic container that has small holes in it which allows water flow through it. I did this in an attempt to get them used to each other ...

The result of that is that the Green T and the Female Green T have continuously been at each other's throat ... The male comes to the plastic container and kind of attacks the mouth of the female - as if they were kissing -- but it certainly doesn't look that friendly.

My question after all the above is simply: Do you think it's even a good idea to let the female free into his territory? Or do you think the male will just show her who's boss and then start developing a friendship? Or do you think the male will start getting used to the female through the separate plastic tank method currently in operation? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated?.

Regards
Brent

sman91wing

AC Members
Apr 1, 2004
Mi
Visit site
Your male probably feels quite at home in the tank and has his territories. Maybe if you took him out, rearranged the tank decor, and then added the two fish at the same time they both be new to the environment and might get along better.

Banger

AC Members
Oct 2, 2004
Good idea about changing the decor and putting them back in simultaneously. My rivulatus is a wuss, he used to get his *** handed to him by his reflection ! lol

Also try setting up natural barriers, such as rocks,plants,etc to seperate territories. When your female hits about 5-6 inches she'll be ready for his advances.

MBZ

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store