Another help me identify my cichlid thread!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

souldecay

AC Members
Sep 22, 2004
Just yesterday I was shopping for fish supplies, when a nice cichlid caught my eye. So instanly, I bought it and stuck it in my tank. **** ADDICTION!

Well anyways he is about the size of my Terror, and Firemouth, which are new too, and about the same shape. In the tank it was referred to as a "Misc. African Cichlid" and it cost me 6.99. Says it will be 5 inches.

It is a light purple/lavender color with vertical blackish/purple stripes on it. It is a very neat looking fish and is the most active of them all, he just swims up and down, and back and forth all the time.

I tried to find a picture, but I cannot. So if anyone gets any info from this Thread, could you maybe use a pic you may think it is, or lead me to a good site to tell me what it is?

ANy help would be Highly appreciated. I dont like referring to it as just a Misc. African Cichlid.

souldecay

AC Members
Sep 22, 2004
Crap

AH Crap, this could be it too.

I guess im gonna stop lookin and take a picture of it with my phone when I get home.

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Chevy if you can't make a helpful anwser, please don't reply. As to the cichlid, its most likely a Malawi species and they need very different water conditions and diet than your other cichlids. Its part of the group of cichlids that come from the African rift lakes, they need very hard water and a very high pH. Your terror and firemouth need softer water and a lower pH. As far as the diet goes, Malawi's need a herbivorous diet, unlike the terror and firemouth who need a high protein diet. Unless you plan on setting up a malawi tank, I would strongly reccomend you take the fish back, because if your not going to set up a tank for the needs of the fish, its not going to do very well, especially with the more aggressive Firemouth and Terror, they get larger and are much more aggressive than the guy you got. I know its hard to do, but next time before you purchase a fish, do some research on it first, it can save a lot of headaches.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
i highly agree with NatakuTseng.

But in reference to what kind of fish it is... well, does it look more like the first or second picture? the body shape of the haplochromis species (1st pic) is quite different from the shape of the mbuna group (2nd pic). Just by looking at the shape of the fish and not the bars (which many malawi fish have by the way) you should be able to tell if its a mbuna or hap. many juvie malawi's have the vertical-bar pattern before they develop thier amazing colors.
check out this site: http://www.malawimayhem.com
they have an extensive species profiles section including pictures of juvie fish (which is what yours is and they can look a lot different than adults)

check up fish under the genus Cynotilapia, Pseudotropheus, and Maylandia for mbunas... and try Alunocara if you think it might be a hap. those are usually the most common fish in those 'assorted african tanks' i think.

HTH
-Diana

Auren

AC Members
May 30, 2004
Mexico City
Visit site
Maybe an electric blue haly??? they are mildly aggresive and requiere high PH starting at 7.5

danawantsatank

AC Members
Sep 14, 2004
Luvmykribs....what fish is pictured in your picture? I also need help identifing a fish and it looks like that one.Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store