algae + shrimp question and pleco question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stunt 101

1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish
Feb 18, 2004
Northern VA
Visit site
3 questions, algae + shrimp, snails, common pleco

hey guys its me again. I have three questions.
1- What type of shrimp do you recommend to eat algae off the glass and object in my fish tank(s)
2- Wow does my pleco create A LOT of waste, is this happening with everyone else that has a common pleco or am i just over feeding. ive heard they make alot of waste but this is crazy.
3- What type of snail(s) would you recommend for me to put in my turtle tank for algae control, if they multiply like crazy I dont care because Ill feed off the baby snails to my loaches and any other fish that will eat them.

Last edited:

SomeGuy88

Its simply scrum-trulescent
Jun 26, 2004
Grimsby, Ontario
Visit site
1. I dont think i have seen shrimp eat algae off glass before. But then again i might be wrong. But if u want algae off the gravel Anamo shrimp will be a pretty good choice.

2. Yeah my pleco tends to be quite the poop factory aswell. I can see were he has been hanging around lately because there will be a gathering of stringy poop. I just dread what it will be like when he starts to get REALLY big. Yikes!

3. Ordinary pond snails will do good. We give them away for free at the pet store where i work cause they multiply so crazily.

-Dan

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
My algae eating shrimp only seem to eat from bogwood, rocks and plants. My ghost shrimp zoom around everywhere picking at things. They spider around the glass feeling for stuff but I'm not sure if they are eating anything from it. That said, my ottos probably keep the glass free of debris.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store