Injured Goldfish. Please help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jplmruss

Amy
Oct 8, 2004
Hello,

I started to change the water in my tank this morning and noticed that the smaller goldfish was being bitten by the larger gold fish in the tank. I only have two fish. The injured fish looks very bad. It's not bleeding, but the area is swollen and you can see that there is quite a few scales that have been bitten off (some of the areas looks red, like I can see the raw skin underneath the scale).

Is there anything I can do to help it? I have separated the injured fish from the attacker. It is not swiming correctly. I am afraid it'll die on me.

Why is the bigger one hurting the smaller fish? I have seen it chase the other one around, but I didn't think it was hurting the other fish.

Help

Last edited:

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
Lots of things can set off aggression. How large is the tank they're in? What kind of goldfish are they?

Keep the water very very clean while he heals. I believe he'll be particularly susceptible to disease/fungus/etc. while weakened with open wounds.

jplmruss

Amy
Oct 8, 2004
It's a two gallon Explorer tank with a filter/circulation system. The fish are approximately 1 1/4 inch and 2 inches long. They are either ryukin or fantail. The injured one has been separated, but the new location does not have a filter/circulation system. Do these goldfish need to have the filter/circulation system or can they live without one?

I have also purchased a bottle of the melafix. Is there anything else I can do to help the injured fish heal and to stop the big fish from attacking the small fish in the future?

Thank you so much for all your help.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
fancy goldfishes need a minimum of 10 gallon per fish, some would argue that they need more per fish because they produce ALOT of waste. goldfishes will also grow to be quite large quickly, most fancy goldfishes can grow to be 6-8".

The 2 gallon tank will not support even 1 goldfish for very long, either get them a much larger tank or return them and get a betta (I wouldn't recommend any other fish for a tank of that size).

DAN66

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Torbay Devon UK
Visit site
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about the casualty, From My Expierience All goldfish should get on with each other....

One thing I know that can cuase Goldfish too fight is becuase of a terrartorial issue, to get over this you would have to take both the Goldfish out, then rearrange the plants and any ornaments, then put them back in again, then they would both have to find there own terrertory again...This works because fish use plants and ornaments around the tank to establish there terratory..

I wouldn't keep the goldfish inside the unfiltered tank for very long, because he will just be poisend by the ammonia levels (Fish poop) in the water eventually..

If it was me in this situation I would do the following.....

1.Give the aggresive fish to a fish shop
2. Move him into the filtered tank and treat him with the special treatment
3. Clean the tank everyday, doing a big (About 50 percent) water change using decholrinated water weekly, to keep the water clean (Like 'cgrabe' advised)
4. Carry on untill the little fellow is healthier, then take it from there...

Sorry to go on, I hope it helps :)

Cheers
Dan

Last edited:

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
Clearly sounds like a tank issue to me

TBH the tank is way to small for 1 baby goldfish and IMO a betta would be pushing it...

Short term i would advise serpating the two fish and getting the injured one into a clean tank and keeping the maintenance regime and water stats perfect.. Also i dont know if its availbale stateside but Melafix is an excellent general treatment for this kind of thing and being naturally based wont effect the use of other MEDS

Long term, You really are going to need a much bigger tank.. As said fancies can eaily reach 6in.. IMO 50g plus for a pair of 6in fancies is an absolute minimum to allow the fish room to swim. and grow to its full size. Keeping fish in a tank too small can lead to these kinds of problems aswell as stress anbd stunting...

most LFS will take fish in, so i would strongly advise to get rid of the agressive one tommorrow and start treating the injured one. While doing this look for a bigger tank, bascially the bigger the better :)

HTH and I hope he pulls through for you :)

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Google search Goldfish or "goldfish care", or whatever you'd like and you can find MANY great sites on Goldfish. In fact, there are hundreds of pages that will tell you 2 gallons is grossly overstocked -- which is why I am not posting any of that here. If you research the fish (any fish) before buying them, you should get an idea of what each fish needs.

Good luck to you.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Jo Ann Burke is one of the best people I know - however, 20 gallons is pushing it for 2 goldfish. That basically means 10 gallons each per fish... hardly enough for goldfish. Look around the net for several sources, and make your decision that way. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store