Stocking ideas for a 29 gallon community tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 7, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
Im looking for some ideas to stock a 30 gallon tank. I would like a school of Tiger barbs (around 6-8). I also wanted to get some neon terras, but I read that the tiger barbs would probably nip their fins. I would also like to get some ghost shrimp, but I am wondering how they would get along with the tiger barbs. Basically I want a bunch of small fish, and at least one school. I only have a topfin 30 filter right now, but I would be willing to upgrade if the aquarium was slightly overstocked. I have two convicts, and some babies, but they are all going away in the next few days, so they wont be a concern. The tank is fully cycled.

RollendChang

10 Gal is changin
Sep 10, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
If I were you I would stick to terras just to be on the safe side about the barbs picking on them. Stock up on 20 or so diffrent terras and some glass catfish cause I know you love them and get some ghost shrimp. Thats what I would have done minus the glass cats if I diden't go with the barbs.

Peekaboo

Some Guy
Jul 14, 2004
New Westminster, BC Canada
Visit site
If you go with the tiger barbs just don't go with any slow fish with big fins, or really small fish. Neon tetras likely won't work. Danios might work. I'd likely pick a small school of clown loaches. They'd look cool together and are both fish I've never had. :)

RollendChang

10 Gal is changin
Sep 10, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
Go with all terras just get a crap ton of them and your tank will look sweet.

biogirl361

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Michigan
if you get different kinds of tetras try to have at least 5 of each kind, because sometimes different types wont school together.

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 7, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
So I was looking online, and I saw a corry catfish. They are kind of like clown loaches and plecos, but dont get as big, and I believe they wont eat ghost shrimp.

So here is the setup I am thinking of
6 neon terras
6 cardinal terras
4-5 corry catfish
6 or so ghost shrimp or so.

Here are my questions, is this too much, or can I get another school of 6 terras. Also, the ghost shrimp are 12 for 1.50, would this be too much, I dont want them to compete too much for food on the bottom, and would they all get along. Im roughly using the 1" per gallon rule, I know its not always true, but they are all peacefull fish, and I would buy a bigger filter and step up water changes if needed.

Tekhna

AC Members
Aug 17, 2004
Here is how I am setting up my 29

10 Endlers livebearers
3 Powder Blue Gouramis (Harem style, 1 male 2 females)
Some kind of kuli

Cardinals are cool too instead of the endlers.

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 7, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sounds good, Thanks for all the advise everybody. I saw a website that list fish that are compatable with each other, but it dosent have danios and neon terras in the same column. Shouldnt these fish get along, will danios be a problem to ghost shrimp?

Gettin' Tanked

When You Fish Upon A Star....
Oct 7, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I don't know about the ghost shrimp, but the danios and tetras should get along fine. I just added a school of neon's to my 30 gallon tank which also includes danio's and platies and everyone is getting along just great. Neon tetras are not the most interesting fish in terms of activity/behavior, but they really add a nice look to the tank and they school much better than either of the other species I have (meaning they truly stick together in the tank rather than being content to swim about independently like my zebra's and platies do).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store