Angels.. stocking questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OnyxFishies

Fish Nut
Aug 29, 2004
Gulfport, MS
I'm going to get a 75 gallon tank, and I've decided angels would be nice to have in it. I have soft, slightly low pH water. I realize angels can be agressive, so I figure I'll ask about stocking. I would like to get at least two, with an eye on more. I don't really want to stock the tank very heavily. What I was thinking:

3+ angels
small school of Corys. (4-6 maybe)

I figure I'll have room for more and still not be heavily stocked, but I'm not sure what I can put in with the angels. Any suggestions? I would like it to be planted, but that may be some time after the tank is set up. (Have to wait on money for lighting, CO2 setup, ect)

Do angels dig as many other cichlids do? Do angels do well in larger groups than 2 or 3? Is that too many for a 75gal?

Tons of questions, I know. Thanks in advance for any help!

Peekaboo

Some Guy
Jul 14, 2004
New Westminster, BC Canada
Visit site
Do angels dig as many other cichlids do?
Nope, they are l'il angels!

Do angels do well in larger groups than 2 or 3?
Mine have been OK, with 4 in a 90 gallon. They will pair and maybe get a bit testy/territorial from time to time.

Is that too many for a 75gal?
You should be OK, depending on the other stocking levels, of course.

What are good tank mates.
Mine get along with cories great (never notice each other). They are also with a male betta (!), zebra danios, and white clouds, and a pleco. They are model citizens--poking at each other now and again but leaving everything else alone. I heard they shouldn't be put with neon tetras.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Peekaboo said:
I heard they shouldn't be put with neon tetras.
That's absolutely correct. However, some people have kept these 2 together without problems but I think eventually, the problem will arise. Neon's are natural prey for the Angels in the wild so it would just be a matter of time before those instincts kick in..... some might disagree, but why even chance it.....

I've kept mine with pleco's, skunk loaches, and a red tailed black shark which all accented each other fairly nicely.

Cat

AC Members
Aug 3, 2004
Norfolk
Visit site
Check out my specs, I keep my Angel with all these different fish and there is no probs with any of them.
From what I understand its better to keep tham in odd numbers and its prob best to introduce them alltogether as they can be a bit funny when introducing new stock and bully any new aditions

biogirl361

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Michigan
get at least 4 angels, they will not fight as much as 2 or 3 would. i have mine in with some cardinal tetras (looks just like neons except bigger and more red on them), harlequin rasboras,and head and tail light tetras, and the angel doesn't touch them. he also use to get along well with a plecostomus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store