Frustratingly LONG Fishless Cycle (Long Post, Too!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

christine

AC Members
Aug 16, 2004
Arizona
Hi!

I am fishless cycling a 36 gallon bow front freshwater tank with play sand substrate. I started this cycle 7/26/04 using Albertson's brand clear ammonia.

At the beginning of the cycle I added way too much ammonia (test read 8 ppm) and on 7/30/04 I changed out enough water for the test to read 5 ppm.

On 8/29/04 I added two large pieces of driftwood that I had previously soaked for about a month and about 10 additional pounds of play sand.

As of 9/30/04 I finally registered .25 Nitrite and 10 ppm Nitrate.

10/01/01 Nitrite tested at .50
10/02/04 Nitrite tested at 2
10/03/04 Nitrite tested at 5
10/04/04 Nitrite tested at 5

At this point I decided that I'd order plants thinking the cycle was soon to be over (10 Vals, 2 anubias, 2 bunches Rotala and some Java Moss).

10/05/04 Nitrite tested at 3
10/06/04 Nitrite tested at 2 - Nitrate 20 ppm

10/07/04 I planted the above plants and did not test
10/08/04 Nitrite tested at .75 - Nitrate 20 ppm
10/09/04 Nitrite tested at .25
10/10/04 Nitrite tested at .25 - Nitrate 80 ppm
10/11/04 Nitrite tested at .10 maybe - Nitrate 80 ppm

My confusion is that this morning my ammonia tested at 4 ppm. During the nitrite spike, my ammonia would test between 1 and 2 ppm and I would add enough ammonia to bring it up to 3 or 4 ppm and the next day it would drop to about 1 or 2. Today there was no drop in the ammonia from yesterday and nitrite is almost at 0.

These are my current numbers:
Ammonia - 4 ppm
Nitrite - .10
Nitrate - 80 ppm
pH - 8.0-8.2 (this has not changed throughout the cycle)
Temp - 80-82
I do not currently have kH or gH test kits.

This is my current set up:
36 gallon All-Glass Bow Front
Rena XP1
Play Sand Substrate
150 watt Rena Heater (not needed at present)
2 20 watt daylight lights and lots of indirect sunlight
Lake driftwood, river rocks and plants

This cycle has taken a frustratingly long time and I'd just like to know if I'm almost there or doing something wrong?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time!
Christine :0)

(Edited to add photo)

fishtank101104.jpg

Last edited:

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Tank looks really nice. The numbers seem slightly odd to me (mostly the time as you are aware), at this point I would do a fairly large water change, add enough ammonia to bring the level up to 3-4 ppm and see what you have 24 hours later. Don't clean your filter or media at all for now. the plants will consume ammonia, so you may want to test at 8 hour intervals to see if nitrites appear or not. the nitrate test will be your main clue. if ammonia and nitrite are 0 after 24 hours your nitrAte should have risen some during that period.

Other than the ammonia numbers, things look pretty normal. is it possible that there are some dead leaves on your new plants, or that other oganics have been introduced via driftwood or plants?
Dave

christine

AC Members
Aug 16, 2004
Arizona
Thank you so much for the reply, Dave!

There are some pretty sad (dead) looking leaves and I didn't even think to take that into consideration at all (thank you). I will do as you suggest with the water change, add ammonia and then check numbers again.

Thank You!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Remove the dead leaves, and IMO any that don't look vibrant. Decaying organics are a lrge producer of ammonia (although not as large as the fish themselves) you will not want to keep adding ammonia for long (for more than a few days) after the plants went in. high ammonia levels will cause much algea. the plants will love it, but so will the algea.
Dave

christine

AC Members
Aug 16, 2004
Arizona
I changed out about half of the water, pruned back the vals and removed all of the Rotala - none of them looked good at all.

I hope this was the cause of the ammonia and my cycle will soon be complete. What a test of patience!

I'll test in the morning and post back.

Thanks again so very much, Dave!

christine

AC Members
Aug 16, 2004
Arizona
After the water change last night, ammonia tested at 1 ppm. Ammonia was added to bring level up to 3 ppm (around 11 o'clock).

This morning test results are:

Ammonia - 3 ppm
NitrItes - 0
NitrAtes - 20 ppm
Temp 81.5

Shouldn't I have seen some kind of drop in the ammonia from last night?

christine

AC Members
Aug 16, 2004
Arizona
Well, one and a half hours shy of 24 hours the test results are as follows:

Ammonia - 1.5-2 ppm
NitrItes - 0
NitrAtes - 30 ppm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com