correct temp for goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spclk1981

Freshwater n00b
Well, I know room-temp is OK for them. I set up my aquarium, got the temp to remain at 78* for my future neons.

The LFS offered to "rent-a-fish" to me - they'll give me 4-5 feeder goldfish for $.10 each. I can put them in the tank to cycle, and take a water sample in and they'll test it for free. Once I am cycled, I can return the feeder fish for $.10 each credit, and get the neons and whatnot that I want.

My question is, can I leave the tank at 78*? If not, it's no big deal I suppose, I can unplug the heater and just let it drop to room temp, now that it's set, I can plug it back in and be right on the money or darn close with little adjustment.

So, what do you all say? Think they'd be OK in that temp? No? I think I am going to pick them up tomorrow afternoon.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
? What about when the fish die because of the ammonia spike? What about the potential to introduce diseases and parasites to your aquarium? What about how much slower the bacteria colonies will develop at the lower temperature?

Please look into fishless cycling. No harm to the fish, less stress for you.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most bacteria have a temperature range with their growth rates are maximized, including the nitrifiers in out tanks.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
isn't the cycle supposed to go quicker with warmer temps? Not like putting your tank up to 95 and wishing for the best..... more like, instead of having it at 70, keep it at 78......?

Spclk1981

Freshwater n00b
I didn't really think about the temp affecting bacteria colonization...makes sense to me though.

Also, as for the welfare of the fish - I think they'd be fine, goldfish are hearty. I had them as a kid, and I knew nothing about cycling a tank. Heck, they were lucky if I cleaned the tank every month :( They lived 7+ years. I wasn't too worried about disease being that I am getting my "permanent" stock from that store, so those are just as likely to be diseased.

I suppose it would be best to be patient and fishless cycle.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The feeder goldies they are offering you recieve terrible care and IME aRe much more likely to be caring some pathogen than other stock.

Sorry to say this, but 7 years for a fish that should live for 30+...Well, not really that good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store