........another pleco question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

terij

Registered Member
Oct 5, 2004
Lately Plecster ( I name my fish :cool: ) has been floating on top of the water, on his back. He just swims around like this eating. He sucks in flakes, blood worms, pellets, krill, whatever is being fed at the moment. Is this natural, learned behavior, because perhaps he isn't getting fed enough? :sad
He is in a very large pond, there are 5 other bottom feeders (2 chinese alge eaters and 3 cory cats) and several other fish. He is about 7 inches long. Do I need to worry, or no?
Thanx!

Twelve

Ty, the blacklight betta
Sep 30, 2004
California
A couple of years ago, I had a common pleco that did this. Made me laugh every time to see it swimming upside down just to get to the food! :D

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's adaptive--means he gets more food, quicker than those that wait for it to fall to the bottom. Shouldn't be a big problem, as long as you can tell that all the bottom dwellers are in fact getting food. Healthy fish should have a bit of a tummy--not huge and round in most cases, but it shouldn't ever be sucked up or concave. If your fish look a bit convex, no worries.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store