Snowflake Moray Eel and Tiger Barbs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RollendChang

10 Gal is changin
Sep 10, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
Will a Snowflake Moray Eel get along with my tiger barbs? I have 8 inch and a half tiger barbs and I was wanting to get a 8 inch Snowflake Moray Eel but I don't want him to attack my tiger barbs. do you guys think this will be a problem?

Last edited:

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
I have 8 inch and a half tiger barbs and I was wanting to get a 8 inch Snowflake Moray Eel
I don't understand what you mean by 8 inch and a half tiger barbs. You have a total of 8 1/2 inches of tiger barbs?

Anyways, the moray eels has different water requirements than tiger barbs. They need brackish conditions progressing to salt when they are adults. They are commonly sold as freshwater, but, really they aren't.

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 7, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
What he ment was that he has 8 tiger barbs. They are 1.5 inches long.

RollendChang

10 Gal is changin
Sep 10, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
I ment i have 8 tiger barbs and they are 1 and 1 half inches long.I know the place I am buying them from sells them as fresh water. I just want to know if it will eat my tiger barbs. I know The eel eats small fish and I don't think it will eat my barbs but I just want to make sure and see what you guys think.

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The snowflake may be offered for sale as FW, but that is contrary to what the fish should have. If you want long life and a healthy fish, the snowflake can start in BW, later build slowly to SW, but it will not live well and long in FW.

So in that sense, no, the tiger barbs are FW fish, so should not be in with a moray.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
RollendChang said:
Will a Snowflake Moray Eel get along with my tiger barbs? I have 8 inch and a half tiger barbs and I was wanting to get a 8 inch Snowflake Moray Eel but I don't want him to attack my tiger barbs. do you guys think this will be a problem?

The moray will eat the barbs, that is of course the stress of being in FW doesn't kill it first. You need to get it into high end BW over the next 2 months or return it, because you can't keep it in FW.

RollendChang

10 Gal is changin
Sep 10, 2004
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ok, so tell me how to aclamate the tank to bw I will move the barbs to my other tank.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I know next to nothing about brackish/saltwater tanks and fish, but I need to throw my 2 cents in:
Everything I just read online tells me this is a saltwater fish. Maybe it starts off okay in freshwater, and maybe it will do alright in brackish, but it seems to eventually need a saltwater environment to thrive. Unless you're going to convert to saltwater I wouldn't get this fish - morays are beautiful, highly intelligent fish and it would be a shame to get attached to your pet and then lose it because you couldn't provide the right conditions.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishinfo/marine/sfmoray.htm
This is the profile of the snowflake moray I found on the AC site. Please do yourself a favour and check out the fish's requirements.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store