co2 and white stringy junk.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
I saw a few posts about the white stringy junk that happens when co2 gets in to the tank, but I have some of that around my diffuser (the co2 hasnt foamed up or spilled into the tank at all), and was wondering what it is.. I had it on my last co2 tank setup year ago also. So i'm just wondering about it..

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Sounds like you're talking about the residue that occurs on airstones when used in conjunction with DIY CO2. It is ugly, but harmless. It can clog airstones and cause a possible explosive situation from back pressure if not cleaned off regularly, however.

Len

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Yeast snot

This yeast snot can be avoided by adding a bubble counter into the system. As the gas passes thorugh the water, where you can count the bubbles, it also is scrubbed of any entrained yeast. The problem is resolved by using the bubble counter, and by changing the water in it if it ever smells nasty.

Although no one has ever proved that the snot IS yeast, it has been reported that under a microscope the particles are rod-shaped, and yeast is easily air-borne and so might be expected to travel with the CO2 gas.

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
Ok, so all i need to do is make an inline thing with some water and drop the incoming co2 line under water level and then have the outgoing co2 line above water level right?

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
Argh, I saw the color and just thought copper. Would I use teflon tape around the threads on the fittings to make them more air tight? Fitting I saw at home depot was like this

Just gotta get a nut for the other end. I guess I could use aquarium sealant to seal it all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store