Ventral surgery?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bear 1

Registered Member
Oct 17, 2004
Wainfleet ontario
Posted - 10/17/2004 : 12:25:53
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, I've got 2 angels that are now 3.5" ( golden diamonds ) I think. They have deformed ventrals one looks broken where the thin part starts the other looks like a coliflowered ear on a boxer might look. Now I've read in the past that dorsals & anal fins can be trimmed/shaped, what I'd like to know if the same applies to ventrals on angels? They are very nice specimen and if possible I would like to try and do a little cosmetic surgery if its safe to do so.
A hospital tank with meth blue awaits them for a recovery period.
I'd like to hear any and all experiences and oppinions on the subject so I can weigh every option b/4 commiting one way or another. If cosmetic surgery is safely posible it sure would improve their statuesqe appearence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIA
Regards Bear :D

NatakuTseng

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts
Jan 3, 2004
Vermont
cichliddomain.com
Don't do it, period. Your causing injuries to the fish, sky rocketing their stress levels, and despite your best intentions subjecting them to possible infection. The just leave them alone, so they have some malformed fins, it adds something unique to them, and besides your probably not going to be taking them to a show or anything. The act of trimming fins is rather barbaric, I mean the fish are going to feel that pain, its not like cutting your hair off, maybe more like taking a layer or two of skin off.

bear 1

Registered Member
Oct 17, 2004
Wainfleet ontario
Ventral surgery

Posted - 10/19/2004 : 08:01:18

I've posted this question on 5 forums and have not had any possitive opinions on that type of surgery nor possitive results, so if I can't look forward to at least 90% succes rate I'd rather not put them through the trauma
:I inherited said angels at quarter size
and they had the defects at that time, I did however suspect rough handling or unsuitible tankmates as the cause, knowing their keeper!
:cool:

TIA
Regards Bear

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I had a couple angels which I received with similar fins (kinked more than anything else). I don't know if this is normal or not because it's only happened to me once (with 2 fish) and I've never had any others with this said kind of deformation.... but as they aged, the older they got, the better these fins got..... the deformities virtually grew out.... maybe yours will too..... I can't say it definitely will because 2 fish is hardly solid evidence but I can say that it does happen. Let them grow.....without the operation. As Nat says, it's an awful amount of painful undue stress..... but for your benefit, not theirs....

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
Yes, i bet as they grow out the deformations will disapear. Just like the "bully bumps" on my pit bull's ears- wart like things I wanted the vet to remove, but he told me as she grows the "warts" could possible go away by themselves, and sure enough they did!
I wouldnt risk hurting them, its sorta like circumcising the poor thing fins! eek! or docking a six month old pups ears or tail.
well, good luck!

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
b4 doin cosmetic surgery put them in a tank with melafix and then their fins shpuld grow back to normal and if they dont then they deformed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store