Iodine dosing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Ive been dosing my 55gal reef and fish, live rock, live sand tank with a teaspoon of Kent iodine weekly (pretty much per the instructions). I only have soft corals: mushrooms, polyps and leathers. Is that dosage too much?

I have an iodine test and nothing seems abnormal, though I understand the tests for iodine are very unreliable. Someone recently suggested that once a month dosing would be better. The corals basically do pretty well, though not great, but perhaps to be expected since I only have modest lighting.

I would appreciate any iodine dosing advice!

Thanks.

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
I'm not experienced with dosing and all that but I can tell you no matter how many times I run the seachem iodide/iodine test, I can't get it to come up right with the reference sample. I give up, i don't wanna play any more!

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
According to Randy Holmes-Farley's Reef Aquarium Water Parameters article he states "control not recommended"and "I advise aquarists to NOT try to maintain a specific iodine concentration using supplementation and test kits."

Check out the page for his reasoning- I refer to it so frequently that it is almost burned into my monitor screen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store