Black ghost knife fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
I think you will need a 75 gallon or even a 90. I think they can get up to 20".
Ph around 6.5-7.0 temperature range from 72-79 degrees F. They use electricty to see. they are nocturnal, shouldn't be housed with fin nippers. If you get one a clear tube is good because they like to hide and you'll be able to see it but it will think its hidden.

Matt W

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
codewalkers.com
I've had a BGK for some time now and I can say he is definately the coolest fish I own. When I first got him he was about 5 inches long and stayed in his clear tube all the time. The only time he came out of the tank was when all the lights (tank and room) were off.

Now he is 15 inches or so and roams the tank constantly. He doesn't fit in the tube anymore, so I took it out of the tank. He doesn't seem to mind as he uses the plants for cover when he feels like resting.

I wouldn't recommend a 75 for however. These fish like to move quickly from one side of the tank to the other. I think 4 feet would be restricting his movement. I keep mine in a 125 and can't imagine him being in a smaller setup.

Hunter555

Ninja!
Sep 19, 2004
Sydney
Some useful things to know and to take into account about BGK:

They are territorial... so if you have more than one they will probably fight over territory. (I have had this problem).

They can grow up to 12 inches or so and can have a lifespan of up to 15 years.

You can see your ghost knife all day by placing a flat rock on an angle against one side of the tank. This will hide him from the light and he will think he is safe but you will still be able to view him all day every day. This is really usefull for feeding them too.

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
you know the african brown knife fish is cool, they only grow to be around 10 inches and should be comfortable in a 75. I have one that is about five inches now in a 20 gallon with two smaller upside down cats, then I am moving him this winter into a 90. They are community fish as well as nocturnal predators;they will eat anything that fits into their mouth, which looks small bit is quite decieving. They are very similer to Black Ghosts only the mouth and snout is more sloping than the black ghost . Anyway, just thought i would mention it. :p
oh btw hunter the black ghost gets quite a bit larger from the african brown, they look very much alike only the brown knife doesnt have any white on the body.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
Well, 125 gallons is only 50 more than 75.... :rolleyes: We shall see lol.
I'm going to look up the silver and brown knife. Thanks for the tips.

I searched and searched and can't find very much info on the other species of knife, except for the clown (don't want)! I think the brown is nice possibility, however.

Last edited:

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
Last edited:

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
Thanks for the links. There are actually 2 that interest me: Sternachella Schotti (Little Scale Knife) Brown ghost from South America. Up to 8 inches long, if I understand right.

Xenomystus nigri: African Brown Ghost. Up to 12" and I think he tolerates a ph of over 7. (my tap water is 7.4)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store