top fin 55 gallon aquarium stand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mikebarg

AC Members
Jan 10, 2003
texas
Visit site
I just bought a Top Fin brand 55 gallon aquarium stand at Petsmart. After opening the package I found it is constructed entirely of partical board. I assembled it and sat on top of it. It holds me but thats only 180 lbs. I am concerned about the top surface sagging or the uprights bowing over time. I was woundering if anyone has used this stand. I can't find any info on the net about this product. I know it was built specifically to hold a 55 gallon aquarium but it seem a bit marginal to me.

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
Particle Board is made similarly to OSB. It is weak when pressure is applied to a flat side, but strong along it's length. The 55 gal aquarium probably rests it's edges right over top of the particle board uprights. This is the strongest application of this type of wood (or OSB). It should be fine for several years of use. Just wipe up water that spills over the aquarium top as soon as you can, but don't stress if a bit of water gets on the wood. This wood is not so strong if you were to stand with your weight directly in the center of the stand where there is no support beneath the top. It's hard to explain without drawing pictures, and it takes a long time to draw a decent picture on this forum with characters:(
Basically, it should be fine:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store