hippo tang sleeping??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blackthunda77

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
deveation.web1000.com
i bought a hippo tang yesterday and acclimated him and the let him go in my sump and he laid on his side for a while till i turned the lights on then slowly he started moving around and exploring . by the end of the night he was doing really well. this moorning i woke up and thought he was dead. he was on his side not moving. upon closer inspection he was breathing through his gills and not gulping with his mouth so i thin hes breathing ok. but even know 2 hrs later withthe lights on hes still not swimming jutst laying on his side, sometimes scoots round on his side buut not much movemetn. i know hippos do this but i didnt think it was to think extent. is he ok?? he look really healthy.beautiful colors.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Doesn't sound good--while they will go on their side often, if the lights are on, the fish should be in a normal position. If it's not, that sounds like a stress reaction of some kind. What happens when you disturb the fish?

Adonis Mt

AC Members
Feb 19, 2004
Visit site
blackthunda77 said:
hell get up and swim away, but hes alil slow. i moved him into a clea isolation box in the main tank with lights on. he seems to be doing better but still looks scared.
If you dont have any places for the fish to hide, it will get stressed ouit. Im assuming you dont, since he's in your sump. If this is true, head to home depot and just get some various pieces of PVC and some other various PVC parts and stick it all togehter and toss it in the sump.

cara

"A MORRAY EEL!!"
Oct 11, 2004
Illinois
blue tang

My blue tang is hiding most of the day. It probably only comes out to eat and chase the other fish away. Is he stressed out? He also seems to be gulping for air with his mouth.

BBN

Braves on the Warpath
Apr 3, 2003
Marion, Illinois
Visit site
I found mine on his side once a year ago when the lights were still off. I thought he was dead butwhen I got near the tank he swam and hid in the rock. Still have him and that was the only known occurence.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store