Catfish/Pleco for 20gl.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Darkside

AC Members
Oct 17, 2004
I'm starting up a 20gl community tank and was wondering which bottom feeder(s) would be good for it...

The tank will be mederately planted and contain several community fish. I would like a bottom feeder(s) which will not outgrow the tank (aka not get any bigger than 4-5") and will be compatible with other fish. Any suggestions???

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Bristlenose like OG suggested are great algae eaters. Amazingly cleaned some black and green algaes off my plants. If you get the bristlenose make sure to have a small piece of wood in the tank and some hiding places.

Amano shrimp will eat algae and any leftover foods but make sure they won't be eaten by the other fish.

Ghost shrimp are cheap bottom feeders so if they get eaten by your fish it's not a big deal. Other bottom feeders that would work are cories or kuhli loaches. Make sure you keep them in groups of at least 3.

Archangel

Plecos, Plecos, everywhere
Apr 7, 2004
Oklahoma
www.homestarrunner.com
Oto's are great algea eaters. I'd recommend 3 for a 20.
I'd avoid SAE's and CAE's. I've never much cared for them.

Rubberlips are cool, cheap, effective, and stay small. A good choice.
Queen Abaresque I have no experience with. I've heard they stay small, but also may be hard to find(unless you already have a line on one).

Clown Plecos stay quite small. Not effective algea eaters, but nice looking little guys. Very shy.

Cory's are also very cool little fish. Khulis as well. Both would be much more active than any pleco, so keep that in mind when selecting fish. Plecos, by nature, are nocturnal and you may not see much of them.

Briko03

AC Members
Sep 20, 2004
www.nldesign.port5.com
possibles for a 10g

Are there any plecos that will work in a 10g setup? I live in a dorm so its my max size and im dying to get one however i will restrain myself if there arent any options.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store