Herbert the toad meets an Axolotl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PunkMartyr

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
Stroudsburg, PA
Visit site
I was thinking of eventually doing a terrarium in a 20 gallon long and considering what I would put in it. I have a toad from outside I named Herbert in a 10g, and my gf is going to be getting an axolotl ("water dog") for her 5.5 gallon.

Will a toad and an axolotl get along ok? From what I have seen toads don't go in the water much anyway. I think they'll both eat worms and similar foods too.

Also, I know the preferred substrate for Axolotls is smooth river stones large enough they can't eat them. For a toad though I have no idea. I have him in a sand terrium right now because I just had to slap something together when I found him.

I like this toad a lot, he reminds me of a bulldog or a tank or something, he's really stocky to be so small.

He looks a little dry today maybe I should spray some water on him or something?

wetmanNY

AC Members
Why not give Herbert a really moist crisp leaf of lettuce? Is he cold enough? Does he have a flowerpot to get under? Did you try him with a mealworm?

I'd never combine a toad and an axolotl in one terrarium myself. Like a rhino with a hippo. They don't add up together to more than they are separately.

Besides, aren't toads fiercely territorial with other toads? --BTW, is Herbert Bufo americanus or B. fowleri? --Check him out at http://www.mnh.uconn.edu/amtoad.htm

PunkMartyr

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
Stroudsburg, PA
Visit site
He's as cute as the American Toad picture but from the text he seems to be a Fowler. I found him in a gravelly area near the hose that is wet sometimes during the year. I was amazed he burrowed into that stuff. His pouch is also white, not dark at all.

Live 35 years in captivity how about that..

Do you think its ok to hold the toad, I like to pet him occasionally and stuff but I don't want him to secrete stuff from his glands.

I am still unsure about how wet he needs to be, like uh, he likes to stay on land and just keep his belly wet and not bother with his top which gets dry looking like the fowler picture.

Ashes

AC Members
Apr 19, 2001
Northern NY
I've seen some pretty big axolotls...

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
It's generally a bad idea to handle frogs/toads/tortoises too much. It's not so much for the toad's safety as it is for your own.

If he gets to looking REALLY dried out, try misting him with a water bottle. It's kind of like dew settling on his back in the great outdoors. (I did this occasionally with the tree frogs I had with pretty good success...) I don't think it's quite so necessary with a toad, though, because they are normally used to a little drier conditions. Putting a glazed pot-dish (those things they put under terra-cotta pots to catch excess water) filled with river rock with water in it should provide a humid enough environment for him.

Be sure he has a decent hiding place, such as an upturned flowerpot. Also might be a good idea to check your local ordinances on keeping wild-caught pets, you know, just to cover your butt...

You've got a cool pet! Have fun!

PunkMartyr

AC Members
Dec 23, 2002
Stroudsburg, PA
Visit site
Thanks, he has been sitting in a pvc pipe the last few hours. I have to share a dorm with someone and the room can get somewhat hot at times (78 degrees is kind of normal). I don't know if this will effect his hibernation cycle and me putting him back or not. I might just build him a cool terrarium and keep him. I like the idea of having him for 30 years thats really cool lol

FishBait

triggerhappy
Nov 27, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
Where is your g/f going to get the axolotl? If it coming from an lfs, it's most likely going to be a tiger salamander, not the true axolotyl. As such, it will eventually transform into a terrestrial animal, and that 5.5 gallon tank will prolly be a little cramped for him, even as an aquatic form.

And if your "toad" turns out to be a species of Bufo (the bullfrogs?) then it is not a toad and should be kept wet.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There is not scientific difference between a toad and a frog. These terms are common reference to amphibians, and generally, toads are primarily terrestrial as adults while frogs are primarily aquatic, but this is a vagary of the language, rather than a biologically based separation.

A 5.5 gallon tank won't be adequate for a bullfrog, nor for the axolotl. They need at least 10 gallon, prefreably of water. The true ones will remain in their juvenile form their entire life, if not prodded into morphing into the adult form.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store