photoperiod and algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
I am in the midst of a full blown brown algae bloom, any way Ihave 3 20w NO bulbs 1 20000k and 2 daylight running 12 hours. Should I decrease my photoperiod or get different bulbs, my corraline algae still seems to be dying is this not enough light for it? Thanks again!

Oh yeah I do have some macro algae on a piece of rock shouldn't this help in controling the micro? I have no idea what it is, one type sorta looks like grass and the other ( which is doing very well looks like a long stemm with little bubbles on it any idea links for id would be great I can't find these two anywhere

I would say leave your lighting down a bit, esspecielly if you are not housing any photosynthic corals. I would leave your 20,000k on for 5-7 hours daily, to recude the amount of algae you have. Likely you algea is from:

1. High phosphates
2. High nitrates
3. Lighting is on too long (which it isn't)

Also, the loss of your coralline algae is likely from low amounts of Calcium ;)

PH =)

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
PH thanks for your reply you are quite helpful! It was my understanding that sythetic salts supply a calcium level sufficient for coralline growth.I will have a test kit Monday So you think 40w would be good i could just remove one bulb I don,t have anything photosynthetic other than the algae right now. Maybe you could help me out with some suggestions for low light corals and stuff ( 60w on 29g) Thanks again you seem to be the only one answering my ?'s

Ken b

AC Members
Mar 20, 1999
Wakefield, Ma.
Another level to look at is alkalinity. Too much CA will drop alkalinity and vice versa. There is a balance that needs to be maintained, and finding can be tricky.

Tanks that are under a year old will also go through algeal blooms. As the tank matures the consumption and production of compounds should balance ,as long as you're set up properly,and maintain good water quality.

Last edited:

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
Just checkd my nitrate is between 5 and 10 ppm. I don't have an alkalinity kit yet ( Monday) but I checked the KH is at 13 °dkh. What exactly is the difference between the two?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store