Green Spotted Puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wazzucycler

Student Cyclist
Nov 5, 2003
Pullman, WA
users.adelphia.net
I am looking at trying some Brackish. I have experience with salt and fresh. I am looking at getting a green spotted puffer and understand these are brackish fish. The LFS currently has them in regular fresh water... They are pretty small so fairly young. What salinity would I want them to get to over what period of time?

Thanks,
Jeff

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
OrionGirl said:
You can take them up to full marine, as adults.
Say you wanted to conserve $ on salt b/c you did frequent water changes (marine salt is a little more $ than table salt!). What is the low end of brackish you can keep them and still maintain optimum health? The site states 1.018 (full marine is 1.025?). Is this correct?

Last edited:

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
1.018 is as low as I'd go for GSPs, I'd find a cheap source of marine salt if I were you. I'm on a limited budget and I have no problem buying marine salt when I need it.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I buy salt by the bucket. I can wait until I find a big sale somewhere on it (sometimes up to 50% off) & maybe even buy 2. This may sound harsh, but if you can't afford to keep a pet in the manner it is necessary to keep it healthy, you shouldn't keep it. Would you keep a cat/dog, if you couldn't afford good food, shots & neutering for it?

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Absolutely agree Pufferpunk! Since my wife has named the GSP "her" fish, the budget isn't limited when it comes to taking care that tank. Just thought I'd ask.
Thanks.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
So I guess, as usual, the wife controlls the money? :bowing:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com