figure 8 puffers???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abesapian

AC Members
Oct 24, 2004
Alberta Canada
I stopped at a fish store I had not been to before and saw one of these figure eight puffers. I did a little research on the net and I think one of them would do o.k. in my tank, but I wanted to hear from anyone with some knowledge and/or experiance with these guys also.Here is my setup.

-55 gallon tank
-aquaclear 300 filter
-plants (some live some plastic)
-rocks, caves and airstones

the fish
-1 rainbow shark
-1bala shark
-1 pictus cat
-1upside down cat
-1algae eater
-2 african dwarf frogs
-2 kuhli loaches
-3 tetra's (1 siver tip, 2 red/black)
-and 2 snails but i realize they will become lunch if I do get a puffer

I was also thinking of getting some neon or cardinal tetras cuz I wanted to see some schooling in there and I wanted to mabey get a clown pleco.

So does it sound like a puffer would fit in? And is there anything else I should consider?

Thank for all repies

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
they will nip everything. they are best kept by themselves i used to have some and they would kill and eat everything that wasnt way bigger than them. used to feed them big goldfish that they would eat alive.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
First of all,
Fig 8's do FIIIINE in a fresh tank! I dont worry about that. i have done an experiment, Fig 8's in a fresh tank...results? They were in pristine condition! Though i'm goin brack for safety, they were actually fine. Fig 8s should not be with the tetras since it'll be on the menu for them, and the frogs and the upside down cats might get eaten too...the rainbow and bala might get its fins nipped.....hhaahha.....uhh... let me just tell you what i have...: 2 Fig 8's, Senegal Bichir, 2 Clown Loaches, some Ghost Shrimp and Snails for midnight snacks. They are all fine! Getting an African Leaffish too!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store