stupid newbie questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cthopper

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank I am considering converting into a saltwater tank. I received my aquarium as a gift so I really do not know a lot of basics about the equipment. I have found out a lot of details over time, but for some reason the very basics are difficult to find. I have two powerheads running an under gravel filter system, a canister carbon filter, a bubble curtain, and a light hood that only has space for a single 24" bulb. Here are my questions:

1. Powerheads... I don't know a lot about them. Can you have powerheads that are not attached to an under gravel filter? I have read that it is impractical to have an UGF system in a saltwater tank, but I have also read that powerheads are suggested for a SW tank.

2. Protein Skimmer... I have seen suggestions for the CPR and Aquac Remora hang on skimmers. Would I need my canister filter at all if I used either of these skimmers? Do these skimmers take up a lot of space.

3. Lighting... Would it be possible to have a Saltwater aquarium with a single light? I would probably just have live rock and some small basic fish. I am thinking maybe clownfish and/or tang. Will a single light be enough? If so what kind should I use. If not what would be recommended for a 30 gallon tank?

4. Sumps... Everything I have read refers to them, but does not thoroughly explain what they are. Are they absolutely necessary to a SW set up? Are some built into protein skimmers (the ones I mentioned above)?

Sorry if these questions have been asked over and over. I have just had a very hard time gathering answers to these specific questions. Don't worry, I am going to do very thorough research before I start a SW aquarium. I just wanted to see if it would be practical and affordable in my current situation.

Thanks for any help!
Chris

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
I'll preface this by saying I do not, and have never, run a saltwater tank. But I have been thinking about it too, and so I've been reading up on it.

cthopper said:
1. Powerheads... I don't know a lot about them. Can you have powerheads that are not attached to an under gravel filter? I have read that it is impractical to have an UGF system in a saltwater tank, but I have also read that powerheads are suggested for a SW tank.
Yes. A powerhead can be used to just provide more water movement, power a protein skimmer, etc. UGFs would quickly get clogged with sand in a SW tank.

cthopper said:
2. Protein Skimmer... I have seen suggestions for the CPR and Aquac Remora hang on skimmers. Would I need my canister filter at all if I used either of these skimmers? Do these skimmers take up a lot of space.
If you decide to use live rock and live sand in enough quantity, you can run the canister empty for circulation and occassionally put in some activated carbon when needed. If you don't use live rock or sand, you'll need some sort of biological filtration which could be provided by the canister.
EDIT: Oh yeah, protein skimmers provide chemical filtration I believe. It doesn't provide any biological filtration. Are you familiar with the three types of filtration?

cthopper said:
3. Lighting... Would it be possible to have a Saltwater aquarium with a single light? I would probably just have live rock and some small basic fish. I am thinking maybe clownfish and/or tang. Will a single light be enough? If so what kind should I use. If not what would be recommended for a 30 gallon tank?
If you're only keeping fish, crustaceans, and/or live rock/sand, you only really need enough light to see them. The high lighting many use is mostly needed if keeping corals, anemones, etc.

cthopper said:
4. Sumps... Everything I have read refers to them, but does not thoroughly explain what they are. Are they absolutely necessary to a SW set up? Are some built into protein skimmers (the ones I mentioned above)?
A sump is basically a seperate tank used to hold filtration, heaters, protien skimmer, etc. and all the things you don't want in your display tank. A pump circulates water between them. Some sumps also have refugiums built in. They are very versatile; there are many many ways to design a functional sump depending on your needs.

cthopper said:
Sorry if these questions have been asked over and over. I have just had a very hard time gathering answers to these specific questions. Don't worry, I am going to do very thorough research before I start a SW aquarium. I just wanted to see if it would be practical and affordable in my current situation.

Thanks for any help!
Chris
Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding some things too. Good luck, and keep us posted! And just to repeat myself, my answers are based on reading I've done the past few days. I don't have any direct experience with a SW tank yet.

Last edited:

cthopper

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
I am planning on using live rock and/or sand. I am familiar with biological filtration, but am not completely familiar with chemical or mechanical yet. That is why I am curious about the neccesity of a sump if a hang on protein skimmer is present.

How much lighting would be necessary for keeping coral in a 30 gallon?

Good luck yourself and thanks for the info!

cgrabe

AC Members
Jun 1, 2004
Virginia, USA
Visit site
That depends on which corals you want to keep. Some soft corals don't need a lot of light, and others need more than would make other fish or corals comfortable. Are there any you particularly like?

cara

"A MORRAY EEL!!"
Oct 11, 2004
Illinois
types of fish

Your tank will be on the small side for a tang. They are active fish and need a lot of room to swim. Unless you are planning on buying a small tang and getting a larger tank in the future I would probably wait on that particular fish. The clowns would be perfect for that size. Try to get baby ones, raised in captivity. Your chances of them eventually mating could be good. Good Luck!

cthopper

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
Thanks for the advice. I am thinking about skipping the coral, at least for now. How would a couple clownfish, a couple of clown goby, and a couple of starfish work? Would that be to much for a 30 gallon? Would I have to use a sump if I were using live rock, a couple powerheads, and a hang on protein skimmer? Thanks!
chris

woninil

AC Members
Sep 12, 2004
Illinois
Im barely into month 4 so am hardly an expert but I trust my LFS-anyone who only lets you buy one fish a week is pretty darn concerned, KWIM???

I was told you do not need a skimmer if you are fish only-I suspect that means if you have live rock too. I think its when you get into corals that you need that quality of water

Most of the info out there applies to reef aquariums and tends to be overkill for fish only IMO. Of course, I am already thinking "what would I need to add just one coral?" so overkill isnt ALL bad

I have a basic freshwater set up with a 55 kit I bought from a Meijer store(like Walmart if theyre not in your area)

I used live sand and a chromis and cycled in 10 days(I suspect the live sand wasnt very live cause one tiny chromis cant put out much waste)I also added the sponge from an established freshwater filter but opinions vary as to whether that helps a SW or not

I have added 2 clowns, firefish, convict goby or blenny(can never recall), and just this weekend a long nosed butterfly fish

So far, so good-the butterfly is the most difficult of my choices but VERY cool

I think its more important to go slow and check your water than to have all sorts of fancy equipment

Save that for your NEXT tank

And stick to simple fish-I'm hoping I can keep enough food going to this tiny mouthed butterfly; probably not the best choice(but so pretty)

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
It's my opinion that you do need a skimmer with FOWLR. I have a 55 with 6 fish, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 hermit crab and a small amount of poylps, mushrooms and zoas. Also, numerous snails.
I clean my skimmer cup a couple of times a week.
If, on the other hand, you plan on doing at least 10g. water changes every week, a skimmer wouldn't be necessary.

cthopper

AC Members
Sep 30, 2004
So what I am hearing both of you guys saying is either invest in quality water for frequent water changes or get a protein skimmer. Is that correct? I am definitly going to go with the skimmer, a couple of powerheads, and live rock at this point. Then if I choose to add coral later my only extra investment will have to be lights, right?
Thanks so much for all the suggestions and ideas.
chris

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
Right!!! Except you still need quality water for water changes. I use only rodi water for my 5g. changes once every 2 weeks in my 55. About once a month or month and a half I will do 10g. water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store