(Premnas biaculeatus)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
Just picked up last night(friday) a (Premnas biaculeatus) Maroon clownfish....to replace the one that was eaten.

The bones did get "spit" out last night.....
Anyway, this mrning i woke up to find the maroon really close to the anenome (haitian bubble tip or pink tipped condy). Every once in a while he will hit the tenticle and swim off real fast only to return seconds later.........

?: Can i expect the clown fish or assume that this will lead to the anenome/host relationship i've been waiting for for so long?

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Nothing naturally hosts in Condylactis spp anemones - they are from the Caribbean and clowns are from the Pacific. Clowns will only take up residence in condys if they are desperate for a host and are smart/careful enough to acclimate themselves to the anemone without being caught. As far as the anemone is concerned, the clown is just another meal that's particularly anxious to get eaten.

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
I've read alot about the condy.....
Now i know why it cost me $9.99.....
Mean little suckas aren't they.....

The maroon will only stay in the area of the condy and when my Clarki comes near it will chase it off.
This fish is intentially getting stung and coming back for more.
Read something about the captivity actions of "feeding" the anenome and the clown is doing just that. I actually just watched him dive head first into it as i'm typing.
It may be cuz the Clarki is almost twice the size of the Maroon.
Hence, the need of "protection" from the anenome.

I hope it isn't just another meal.....
Its still a wonder to watch the un-explained:)

makai

big kahuna
Nov 27, 2002
Fall River, MA
Visit site
He's in....the moment i was waiting for.

My maroon has been fluttering in out and around my Condy with out getting stung.:D

The Clarki is not allowed anywhere near the anenome any longer. Besides that area the clarki and the maroon actually ignore each other. clarki is always in and out of the powerhead current and is usually in his own world.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store