Ahhh!!! Red Algae!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carfey

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
I recently set up a planted 55 gallon tank which at the moment has 4 otos. 1 panda cory (getting more this weekend) and 3 blue gouramis, one of which is incessently building a bubble nest. My pH is around 7.0, KH is 5 degrees so my CO2( I have a DIY setup) should be around 15 ppm. I have 80 watts of light over the tank and I add the recommended doses of Flourish and Flourish Iron twice a week. I change 25-30% of the water every week. I have an amazon sword, some java moss, a java fern, a crypt wendtii, apon crispus and a bit of hygro difformis I just put in.

Now to the problem: I have been getting a fair amount of green spot algae since I set up the tank and I figure it's because of too much fertilizing. I get a bit of the algae that grows like a thread of roots but it's easy to remove. Now to thereal annoying part. I'm getting the red algae growing almost exclusively on pieces of gravel. Looking at the bottom of the tank now, every 6 inches or so is one piece of gravel that is totally covered in the black mess. I often pick those ones out but they are very unsightly and keep coming back. What can I do about this? Should I cut back on fertilizing?

wetmanNY

AC Members
Leaf litter shades out algae on the substrate.

Black brush algae does the same kind of thing in my tanks. It coats on grain but not the next one. It thrives in my soft water.

My solution is leaf litter. At this time of year I fill a couple of shopping bags with dried leaves. I've been using beech leaves successfully, but this year I'm experimenting.

I'd avoid oak, because your gouramis might not like the tannins. (There are some tannins in most dead leaves though).

carfey

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Thanks wetmanNY. Where I live, we have about a foot of snow on the ground so I can't get any leaves without a bit of warm weather. Here's to hoping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store