question about more then one pleco.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

99SH

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Lk. Hiawatha, NJ
Right now I have two common plecos, one is about 8-9 inches, the other around 3 or 4. The big one was my very first fish, and now he seems scared of me. Lights on or off, every time he sees me he runs. I've also done some research about plecos and it seems like two common's will fight when they get bigger. So after all that I decided to trade in the big one tomorrow.

Today I went and bought a so-called gibbiceps pleco, but I'm not sure if he really is one cause he doesn't match the pictures I've seen. He seems almost white, with giraffe-like spots on him. He's only about the size of a dime. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

But what bothers me, from what I've discovered, is that the gibbiceps will have just as many problems with a common once he gets bigger. Does anyone know if that's true, and if it is, is there any pleco that can get along with a common one?

My tank is a 90 gallon, PH around 8.0, ammonia and nitrites around 0, and temp at 80. Thanks.

clayt101

Registered Abuser
Gibbys have several color variations. The giraffe coloration sounds like a gibby. I would imagine that the 2 may quarrel when they become adults, however, you may be able to avoid this by giving them many hiding spots to choose from.

koolkatzfish

AC Members
Dec 7, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
Also be aware that a gibbiceps will get even bigger than a common pl*co, they can get up to 24" long. They are slow growing, so if you provide several territories, caves and such it should help.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
That doesnt sound like a gibbiceps the only white gibbiceps I know of is an albino and its spots dont show up that much.

this is a small normal gibby

and these are small albino gibbys

Last edited:

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Do you buy any chance have pics of it??? I really dont think its a gibbiceps unless you guys and gals know something I dont. I have a pic that show some spots but are very hard to see.

Last edited:

clayt101

Registered Abuser
Originally posted by GER1023
That doesnt sound like a gibbiceps the only white gibbiceps I know of is an albino and its spots dont show up that much.
You're right, I missed the part about it being nearly white..and just read about the giraffe coloration. It may be an albino gibby. Try to get a pic up if you can.

99SH

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Lk. Hiawatha, NJ
That's it, the first picture at the top. He seems to have changed colors a little, I guess from growing. He looks exactly like the one in that picture. So, he could grow bigger then a common pleco? Thanks for all the help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store