Distichodus lucosso

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cacti

AC Members
May 31, 2001
Ripon, California, USA
I was also wondering about this fish. Does it attain a smaller size than D. sexfasciatus? Does anyone know if they are equally agressive or if one is possibly a little "kinder and gentler"???

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I never had one. They are more longer up and down then the dist. sex and I think not as aggressive as the dist. sex. What size of tank do you have.... they do get big..but not as big as the dist. sex. Their colors also dim as they age. Nice fish though. The LFS sells them for 29.00 each.

cacti

AC Members
May 31, 2001
Ripon, California, USA
more on Distichodus etc.

Hi Jamison, unfortunetally I do not have any tanks at this time. I used to have many at a different house- (different state) I am a botanist with big botany commitments at this time but would like to get a 300 gallon tank and have the following fish in it.

1 Distichodus lucosso
1 bala shark
1regular tinfoil
1 gold tinfoil ?
1 leporinus fasciatus
1 asian upside down catfish
1 tiger oscar
2 red hooks- red finned silver dollars
1 spanner (T) barb
2 rosy barbs- 5or 6 in.??

I would like 2 big power filters and 2 airators, a heavy cover to help keep the fish in.

Are the gold tinfoils different than the red finned gold tinfoils????:)

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Heres what wrong with your list...

Tinfoils-

They need a MInumum of at least 3 or they will feel stressed. Mines the Albino tinfoils. The regular tinfoil, when more then a few inches, doesnt look so good in my opinion-it loses that silver gleam- Not sure about the golden tinfoil? never seen one. Albinos tinfoils are REALLY NIce though.

Siver dollars- groups of 3 or more.

Rosy barbs- why the hell? These guys CHOMP on fins for dinner. Plus EXTREMELY COMMON.

T-Barbs- Barbs in general like groups of 3 or more

Seems like the tank will be nice.... what about a group of dist. affinis?

Oh..I hear fish in the Disticidus family that are colorful will go after the same colored fish as well as other fish in the family.. so if they attack the affninis who knows????

I am not sure between the lerorinus and the dist lucosso...they are similiarly striped...the dist. might attack it?I dont know?

This going to be One NICE TANK! how about some bristlenose plecos? You will Have NO ALGAE EVER. they are the best algae eaters.

cacti

AC Members
May 31, 2001
Ripon, California, USA
big fish tank

Hi Jamison, I don't really care for pleco's but I did forget to put on the list an asian upside down catfish, to about one foot long. :) I was hoping the combination of 2 tinfoils, 1 bala shark, 2 red hook silver dollars and the rest of them that the 2 tinfoils would be comfortable, some of the fish are of similar personality. :D

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Common personality? maybe... but be carefull.
I read in the usenet that several people only bought 1 tinfoil and he TERRORIZED the rest of the tank (supposedly? never experience that myself...I always did the right thing and bought groups). Check the affinis thread and there is someone that sent in those pics of the other distichidus. If i were you, contact him by email. He has LOTS of info on discichidus and will help you with all your questions about them. As i take it, he has several different types of the larger species.... No affinis though..

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Rosy Barbs nippers,unbelievable and what's wrong with being common,Jamison,schooling fish rule is 6 minimum not 3,the rosies are going to be dinner for the oscar.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Whats wrong with a common fish? hmmmmm... maybe because EVERYONE in the world has one or knows what it is? I would rather have people say "wow..I never seen these types of fish ever..Kewl tank!" . instead of "oh..yea..I had that type of fish when I was, like 5".

Groups= You can say 5 you can 7, or you can say 3. The group should not have an even amount of fish. 3 is an acceptable ammount as as the lowest number you should keep.

Rosy barbs as nippers? dont believe me? Mine went after the cories and never stopped harrasing them untill I got rid of the rosies. I got them when I first started the 60 gallon. After that, no more coomon fish for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store