I think I am doing something wrong please help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bstnrdsx1370

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
I have had my tank set up with fish in it for right at two weeks now. I have a Bio-Wheel filter. My ammonia level has been creeping along for the past two weeks and it is only now at 2 ppm. Every thing else is reading 0. Everywhere that I have read has said that the ammonia level should be higher by now and I should see trace levels of nitrites. Is this normal? Any help is welcome.

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Tank size, filter make and model, and types and amounts of fish might also help shed light on your situation. Also you make no mention of water changes that you are doing.

It is generally recommended that you do daily water changes to keep ammonia levels down while cycling a tank with fish in it. As for the length of time to cycle a tank it can vary from about 6 weeks to several months. The important thing would be to keep the ammonia levels down so you don't lose any fish.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You won't see nitrates until you detect nitrites, and ideally, you do water cahgnes to prevent the ammonia from ever getting above 1 ppm--ammonia is toxic to fish.

bstnrdsx1370

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
I had read somewhere that you weren't supposed to do water changes until cycling was complete. However, I have been topping off the water level with dechlorinated water for the past two weeks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Those who advise you not to do water changes are misinformed. They'll likely tell you that doing water changes will lengthen the time of the cycle, but this is false. Bacteria reproduce at the same rate if they have just enough food, or way more then needed. So, by reducing the titer (ie, less ppm), you don't have any impact on the bacteria, but you do reduce the toxicity for the fish. Ammonia and nitrites are poisons that harm fish--they can be lethal. Water changes dilute the pollutions, topping off does so in a very small way--the amount of toxin remains the same, but it is slightly diluted. With water changes, the amount of toxin is reduced.

Water changes will be your fishes best friend until that tank cycles.

bstnrdsx1370

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
Is it ok to use a gravel vacuum during the cycling?

Are you saying that the reason I dont see a rise in Nitrites is that I have too much ammonia in the tank?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep, it's perfectly fine to use a gravel vac during the cycle.

I don't think the ammonia level is restricting the nitrite bacteria--I don't think the ammonia consuming bacteria have had enough time to develop to the point of producing significant nitrites. It can take a while for the populations to become established. What kind of filter media are you using? Any additives?

bstnrdsx1370

AC Members
Nov 3, 2004
I have a penguin mini filter with a bio wheel. I have two sources of Oxygen (bubble stones).

The only additives I have used in the tank are proper ph and aqua safe. When I top the water off with tap water, I make sure to add some of the aqua safe to the water to kill the chlorine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store