Small Algae eater for 10g Krib tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BHRay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
girard, oh
Visit site
I have a pair of Kribs in a 10g planted tank. They paired up right away and seem to have taken a liking to an inverted 4" clay pot on one side of the tank. Anyway, the clay pots seem to be an ideal surface for green algae growth. There is some other growth on some of the broad leaf plants, but it really is growing on the pots.

Is this something that I should worry about? I'm hoping that they will breed. They've dug most of the gravel out from under the pot and thrown it out through the opening in the pot that I made. Is there a cleanup fish, or other critter that I could use that would not have a negative impact on them breeding? I had snails and shrimp in a tank where a pair of gouramis mated. Needless to say, the eggs did not last overnite. There are no snails in the tank at this time. I have ghost shrimp, SAE, CAE, pleco, in the other tanks that I have. Nothing in this one - YET.

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
i think anything you put in a10g wilth breeding kribs is gonna have a very hard time,

from what ive read(i have a female, awaiting a male.....:D )
they hammer anything in with them in a 20g...

id go the difficult route, and clean it manually, probably better that having to net those floating fish you bought the DAY BEFORE...

HTH

JackDonkey

AC Members
I wouldn't put anything in that tank with the Kribs. But on the plus side maybe future baby kribs would pick at the algae on the flower pot to eat. If you don't have any plants in this tank just shut the lights off to get rid of the algae.

BHRay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
girard, oh
Visit site
I brought some small otos home tonight. There going in the q-tank for now, but will send a couple "scouts" into the 10g. Someone posted on another forum that they have otos and pleco in a tank with kribs. Of course, I forgot to ask them if they aver bred or what size the tank was. We'll see.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I'd suggest you keep your otos together for now and wait out the 'sudden oto death' syndrone first. They very much like to be in groups of 3 or 4 or more. They seem to be sensitive to temp changes and ammonia, are you fully cycled?
good luck
:)

BHRay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
girard, oh
Visit site
yes, tank is about a year old. There's 2 kribs in there now. The q-tank was cycled too. But, too late - after 24 hours I sent the 6 otos to the krib tank. Not much of a q-tank this week! - lol

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Hi, BH,

I've had breeding kribs in a 38-gal tank with otos, clown plecos, and a community of other nonaggressive fish. They raised the babies fine and didn't attack the other fish. If somebody got too close, the male chased them away; no further aggression.

I think some other posters had different experiences, though, and I didn't try this in a 10-gallon tank. Don't know what your experience will be, but I think it's possible things will work out. It'll be interesting to see.

-- Pat

BHRay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
girard, oh
Visit site
It's been like you have said. If the otos get close to the male (within a couple inches of his head) he does a little "dart" thing, but I don't see him actually attack. The 10g does make things a little more "cozier" than a 38g, but the main thing is that the otos seem to like to hang on the glass right outside the opening of the kribs cave. Oh well, it seems that they are working it out so far (day 3).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store