Upgrading to better HOB or canister filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcps95

AC Members
Jun 16, 2004
Redmond, WA
Visit site
I currently have a 55gal with a TetraTec 300 (with internal heater). The TT300 does a mediocre job, but doesn't seem to have enough power. Maintenance on the filter also is rather involved; the filter pads also seem to clog often and tweaking the siphon control for the wet/dry portion of the filter is a bother.

On that note, I'm considering replacing the filter with either a better HOB unit or a canister model. For a HOB, I was considering the Emperor 400. However, I'd also like to get recommendations on canister filters, which seem to be the most flexible in terms of media, maintenance, etc.

My requirements are pretty much the usual: I'd like a filter that requires low, easy maintenance, is quiet, powerful, and does an exceptional job at keeping the water clean. Ideally, I'd like a filter that has an internal heater (so I don't need an ugly heater in the tank, which is one of the main reasons I picked the TT300 initially), but this is not a deal-breaker.

Obviously, I don't want to spend a fortune, but I'd much prefer to spend more up front and less on maintenance/supplies. (The TT300 filter cartridges are so hard to clean, that I end up having to replace them more often than is recommended.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, having always had HOB filters in the past, if someone has or could point me to some good information regarding canister filters and maintenance required for them, that'd be excellent as well.

Thanks!
Mike

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
You slap an Eheim 2026 on that tank and feed smart you won't have to open it up but every 6 weeks or so- and then just to change one filter pad. You don't even have to buy Eheim brand filter pads, either- I've been cutting them from bulk floss.
Run it with or without a spraybar- it's up to you and depends on the tank inhabitants.
And it is not just quiet- it is totally silent.

Expensive too ($199 w/media), but a breeze to clean, open up, disconnect- whatever you need to do is easy. Very well made and planned filter IMO.

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
If you want an external heater - http://petsolutions.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_41400018_A_External+Thermal+Heater_E_ has an external heater 300W (#41400019) for 53.99 + ship. I personally do not have one but will have one for future tanks because those that have this particular heater like it alot (I too do not want to see a heater in the tank). This attaches inline with the canister output (or input but that would be more dirt passing though).

I LOVE the Rena filstar series. My gf has one (xp2) on her 55G with 10 cichlids and a pleco and it is easy to clean (even though I do it once a week). Time to clean - ~10 minutes from turn off to turn on. I also like the output kit that comes with it - better than Fluval which I really dont like. They are cheap and quite and it keeps the tank clean and clear. This is about $85.00 depending on where you get it (which is cheaper than Eheim).

Dont get me wrong - Eheim's are great filters - they just cost more. But it does have a BUILT in heater where the above setup is INLINE.

Edit - As for cleaning canisters - I clean the sponges (or other mechanical filtration material) and that is all. I check the biological media everytime incase there is something big in there - but I have yet to find anything in my biomedia canister trays. About every 6 months I clean the canister tubes targeting the output tube to make sure I do not keep putting dirt into the tanks.

HTH

Last edited:

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
I would say either a Rena XP-2 or a Fluval 304 would suit your needs nicely and both should be more easily maintained than a HOB filter. That being said you may want to look at a Rena XP-3 or a Fluval 404 also. I have a Fluval 404 on my planted 50g and have had no problems with it.

Now if you do decide to go with another HOB filter I would vote that you look at the AC 500. Either way you go you will need to invest in a heater unit. The inline heater option looks tempting, but a good submersible heater shouldn't be that hard to keep out of sight.

As for maintenance I generally open up my filter every 2 to 3 months rinsing sponges and media in old tank water and checking the impeller to make certain it is clean and in good repair. Please note that the largest fish in my tank is a 2.5 inch female peppered cory and my overall bio load is on the light side.

Quick edit. The Fluval 404 filter I am using was purchased to replace a Penguin 330 filter that was perfectly fine, but I was getting tired of the splashing noise and having to clean it out all the time.

I have a couple of fluvies 303 and i just orderd a fluvie 404 online for 89 bucks im what you would say a satisfied customer with fluval.. Just a warning though I bought my first 2 fluvals from the LFS and paid 150$ each then i found out that they sell them online at big als fishstore online for about half that. Doh.. :sad :sad

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I recently bought a Rena Filstar XP2 for my 45g, and I absolutely love it. Maintenance is a breeze - it primes itself, and has a switch that shuts the hoses off so you can disconnect them easily without getting wet. The media chambers are large, and the operation is SILENT.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store