all male platies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

me2

Registered Member
Nov 8, 2004
Hello,
I'm wondering if it's reasonable to keep only male platies in my tank ( to avoid fry ). They'll be sharing space with a pleco. Thanks!

It sounds quite reasonable to me just be sure that you know the difference between the male and female of the species when you go to pick them out at the store, dont expect the people at the LFS to know. By the way what size tank do you have and how many of these male platies were you planning on getting, how big is your plec. Keep us posted... :dance

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I havn't experienced much bickering between platy males but I have had molly males pick on eachother before. Kyle

Gettin' Tanked

When You Fish Upon A Star....
Oct 7, 2004
Pacific Northwest
My platies are all males and everyone gets along swimmingly! :-D

me2

Registered Member
Nov 8, 2004
Thanks for your input! Milky, it's a twenty gallon tank, and I'd like to keep five to seven platies in there with my pleco, who's close to five inches long. So far that doesn't sound like it will be a problem. Great!

mayreee

AC Members
Oct 2, 2004
I would worry about the pleco. Plecos get far to big for a 20 gallon. Some one gave me a tank with one and it was a 15 gal and about 7 inches long. I took it to the LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store