Small oscar & BIG apple snail... ok together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamesBenjamin

Hopeless Romantic
Nov 7, 2002
NoVA
www.thejoyofliving.net
We have an apple snail thats a little bigger than a golf ball, in a 10 gallon tank. (so that he doesn't eat ALL the plants in our larger ones)

We just got a small (2 1/2") oscar that we were going to toss in the 10g with the snail for now, will they get along ok? I guess the real question is will an oscar eat a snail thats as big as he is?

And don't worry about the oscar outgrowing his tank, we have a 30g for him that now houses some 1 month old swordtail fry, in another month or so they'll be big enough to go in our 'big' tank and he'll get the 30g before he's too big for the 10g.

Thanks! :)

Hootchieman

I may be crazy, but I'm not insane.
Oct 22, 2002
Victoria, B.C.
Visit site
I used to have 4 - 11" to 12" Oscars in a 135 gallon tank and they loved garden snails that I fed them. Some of the snails got to be about 1" in diameter which the Oscars had no problem cracking open. Your larger snail might be okay but might also get picked at even by a small oscar. I find that small oscars are very curious and explore "everything" in the tank.

Argento13

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
I had the same situation years ago. They were fine together for quite sometime, then one day the snail shell was empty. And i agree that the fish will be to large for a 30gal in a very short time. Its always good to do a little checking before purchasing a new fish. Im sure many Oscars have been mistreated due to non-informed people buying the "pretty little fish".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store