Congo Tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Autumn Chuff

Registered Member
Jan 12, 2000
Kansas City, MO
Visit site
Has anyone had any experience with these? They just got some in at my lfs and I was thinking of getting a few for the 29 gal I'm part way through cycling. How well would they get along with other fish (like the 9 serpae tetras I was planning on moving from my 20 extra high to the new tank), how hardy are they, and how much space do they need? Thanks in advance for the help!!!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Alot of money? You ARE serious? they cost around here 5.00-7.00 each.... Not much

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
These fish school,recommended to get a minimum of 6.All i know about them is that they cannot mix with nipping fishes.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
Congos get bgger than 3" I'm looking at a school in my tank at like 3.5-4.5" have seen 6".
At that price they are most likely all females:(
Great!!! fish for you but not a good cycler.

Autumn Chuff

Registered Member
Jan 12, 2000
Kansas City, MO
Visit site
Oh, they are NOT going into a cycling tank. It is fishless cycle for me, always. I'm just window shopping so to speak for after the tank is done cycling. The ones the lfs has are $7 each, it seems this is an ok deal. It's a definite possibility at least.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
I had to pay $14 for the one I got! He's around 3-1/2" long now, and I've heard they get bigger. Gorgeous fish. I'd like to get a female for him, but in my 38-gal (36"x18"x12") I'm afraid more than two would not have enough room. I really think they need a bigger tank, and six would be way too many in a 29-gal, I think.

Sometimes he hovers, sometimes he tears back and forth; very fast swimmer, especially during feeding time! He leaves the other fish alone (tetras, cories, kribensis) and seems very peaceful.

That's a great price you found there--it would be hard to resist buying too many for the tank size, but I'd hate to cramp them.

-- Pat

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store